Remember me
Lost Password Register

New Years Day Dive, 2008
12-25-2007, 02:54 AM,
New Years Day Dive, 2008

We' re going to do a New Years Day dive ~ mother nature and Lake Superior permitting, that is!

For anyone brave enough to join us, meet at Innerspace Scuba in Duluth, MN at 11:30 AM, Jan 1, 2008.  We planned it later in the AM so that you could sleep in a little bit after ringing in the new year! ~Although if you are sporting a hangover, please keep sleeping!

We'll fill tanks for free and provide free rental gear use for those who need it (dry suits not included in the free gear though!) for a single dive with the group. First come/call first served!

The store will be closed from Christmas Eve till Jan. 2, but we'll be around the store to check messages, get mail, do inventory, etc. off and on so if you are planning to dive with us, PLEASE call and let us know by Sunday the 31st so we have a good idea of how many are doing the plunge!  Also, leave a phone number so we can contact you if we need to switch to "Plan B."

If it's blizzard-y out or just so cold that your spit freezes before it hits the ground, Plan B is to dive Sunday the 6th at 10:30 AM instead.  Check out our calendar at for more details.

12-25-2007, 11:01 AM,
Re: New Years Day Dive, 2008
But for those of us who have to work on both the 1st and the 6th Sad    See you in July or August when I'm more comfortable diving in my 7mm semidry suit! ;D
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
12-25-2007, 10:15 PM,
Where are you diving?
Oops Did I really say that?????
12-25-2007, 10:16 PM,
No place but swimming pools til the weather warms up in spring Sad
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
12-26-2007, 06:14 AM,
Last year we dove the breakwall at Two Harbors.  Maybe again this year??
12-26-2007, 02:48 PM,
When will you know if the weather will hold?

I'll be driving up that morning.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-26-2007, 03:33 PM,
Unfortunately, there is no way to know....weather here at this time...waves...not predictable....its a bummer, but it works that way with the charter in thesummer as well....good luck on your dives all......

after the new year, ill let you know what some of the guys at Superior Scuba Center did for the new year..hopefully with photos
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
12-28-2007, 01:27 AM,

The surfers have been loving the Lake lately, which unfortunately means the viz near Duluth was about 2' today!  So it looks like we'll be heading up to the breakwall in Two Harbors.

We'll do our best to have warm coffee and hot chocolate available afterwards!

If you haven't been diving up there, there is a large public parking lot we can gear up in.  We walk about 1-2 blocks out on the breakwall and do a giant stride into the Lake, usually into about 45-60' of water then swim back to the beach.  It's a pretty easy walk back to the vehicles from there.

(And Dean and the guys at Superior Scuba Center are welcome to tag along too, if they want Wink )
01-01-2008, 04:43 PM,
[move][glow=red,2,300]HAPPY NEW YEAR!!![/glow] [/move]

Sooo....anyone interested in going out diving on our "rain date?" Big Grin 

I've felt pretty lousy since after Christmas, so my intention was to man the hot cocoa, help carry gear, provide extra weights, and basically just dry-divemaster the dive today. 

Well, at about 10:30 am, I get two phone calls, with the result being 1 diver out due to symptoms of over consumption, the other out because some nasty congestion. 

I get to the dive shop at a bit after 11, and meet flyboy who strained his back so isn't going to dive, but will come with us to work on his divemaster class module 16 skills; logistical shore support and back-up hot cocoa jockey.  We end up hanging out at the store till about 12:15 and the folks who said they might meet us to dive are a no-show as well, so we scrub the dive.

It would have been a VERY nice day to get wet too!  Winds coming from over the hill, clear skies, and decent air temp.

So anyway, hopefully this bug will clear up by the weekend, but I am planning on diving Sunday the 6th of Jan and meeting at Innerspace Scuba at 10:30am, conditions permitting.  If you want to dive, the free air and gear offer stands!

01-08-2008, 10:13 AM,
Well, six of us went out this past Sunday to Brighton Beach.  It was a very nice day, and the water temp was a comforting 34-36 degrees.  A couple minor free flow incidents, but other than that it was a great dive.  We found a Carlings Black Label beer can from 1949 with shiny paint and in really nice condition considering it's been under there for almost 60 years!  Afterwards we had a little hot chocolate, donuts, and post dive conversation.

Thanks to everyone who came diving!