Remember me
Lost Password Register

IceDiveGreen 12-30-2007 1-12-08
01-01-2008, 03:37 PM,
Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 12-30-2007
Hey everybody, I was just talking to a friend of mine about you guys diving on Green Lake and He grew up near there. When i started to tell him about the sunken island, he told me that when he was about 12 he went out there with some other teenagers and they snorkeled down to the top of the island. They would grab handfuls of clay pottery shards from the top of that island. They messed around snorkeling there all summer and they had each other talked into the story that it was an old, old, burial mound. I suppose the lake wasn't always at the present level. Were there people around the area when the lake was 15' lower? Another mystery... When I was a teen I had just met this friend but the story about the pottery never came up until today.
01-01-2008, 04:40 PM,
Interesting piece of information. There are actually 2 sunken islands on the lake. We've been over a pretty fair piece of the one on the south side and haven't done much at all with the one on the north. I certainly know that lake levels do fluctuate so the possibility that this may have been an exposed island at one time is certainly possible. My native American history is pretty scanty in regards to burial mounds, but I wouldn't think that a low lying island would be a great spot. The presence of pot shards really intrigues me, though. The next time I go out there I"ll spend a bit of time on the top end and sift up some of the clay.
01-01-2008, 05:01 PM,
While you were at Green Lake did you notice the big sand hill on the point? That used to be a popular "parking" spot when I was a teen. We used to tell the girls that the lake was haunted so that they would stay close. After a while we would just say "what was that?" and it was snuggle central. (dirty trick now that I think about it... but she eventually married me anyway). The hill is about 40' to 50' above the lake and I suppose it must have offered quite a view to the ancients.
01-02-2008, 07:49 AM,
I just looked at the MN DNR Lakefinder site about Green Lake and I noticed that the lake was about 5' lower in 1958 than it was in 2001. These records only went back to 1937 as far as monitoring lake levels. There are 5 smaller creeks flowing into the lake with one larger one flowing out of it. The one flowing out only appears to be about 5' deep so if the lake was ever lower than it was in 1958, it had to be way, way, way before that.
01-02-2008, 08:21 AM,

;D ;D ;D

Attached Files
.gif   poltergeist.gif (Size: 58.08 KB / Downloads: 54)
01-02-2008, 10:07 AM,
I'm not familiar with green lake topography, but speaking of burial grounds and such.. here's a bit on some land I have near a river bottom.. there is a steep cliff on one side of the river, and not far from that, on the flat land on the other side of the river,  is a bit of a knoll/rise about 1/2 the size of a football field.  As kids we always looked for aritifacts on the knoll (I still do on occassion after a good rain) as dad and his crew when they worked it found arrow heads etc. by the handfuls there.  one year, after a good flood, 1979, the lower gound near the cliff was washed away pretty good and was just white with buffalo bones.. local historical society claims the knoll was a campsite, the cliff was used to drive the buffalo over into the river and then they did their butchering where all those bones showed up.
maybe you have something like that at green lake.. but being that most of the stuff found was broken up, it might be an old native dump ground..
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-03-2008, 08:04 PM,
Hey shooter, Did you go to school in Cambridge? I only Knew a couple Nates and haven't seen either for years.
01-04-2008, 08:09 AM,

No, I'm originally from Southwest Minnesota. Marshall, to be specific.  But I spent three years in Brazil as an MK. I have only been in the Cambridge area for the last 15 to 20 years.
01-06-2008, 10:55 AM,
Well it wasn't until today that I had the chance to thaw out the chest of pirate treasure from the Green Lake shipwreck....  :Smile  As you might imagine by the time I had a chance to take a look at it after the day of diving it was a block of black ookey ice.  As you may recall my initial thought was it was a tackle box.  Today I discovered it's NOT A TACKLE BOX  :o  :o .......But it is not exactly filled with gold coins either. 

;D I can always use more tools  ;D

Attached Files
.jpg   Tools from the Green Lake Wreck 2008 revised.jpg (Size: 66.74 KB / Downloads: 80)
01-09-2008, 12:55 PM,
Re: Ice Dive Green Lake 1-12-08
Sounds like we are going back on sat. We will cover a diff. area that still encompasses the wreck.We will get pics this time.

Stand by for times.........