Remember me
Lost Password Register

Gander Mountain (Lakeville) Scuba - Gone
01-08-2008, 09:21 PM,
Gander Mountain (Lakeville) Scuba - Gone
Gander Mountain (Lakeville) has cleared out the scuba area of the store.  When asking an employee what happened to it; "Not enough business".
01-08-2008, 09:25 PM,
Re: Gander Mountain (Lakeville) Scuba - Gone
Yeah!!  David beat Goliath again!  Score one for the Local Dive Shops!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
01-09-2008, 02:36 PM,
When was the clearance sale? Oh' wait I don't buy from them.

The clearance tanks would have been enough to get me to buy.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-09-2008, 02:59 PM,
I think in some ways the demise of this retail option could be a negative for our local community.  Follow my logic here.  It exposed scuba diving as a new opportunity to outdoors enthusiasts that may have never considered it before.  Also, people who walk into Gander are generally fishing and hunting in our region.  They generally aren't buying new fishing equipment and heading down to the tropics.  A place like this could have been perfect for minting local divers.  My hope is that the loss of the store has more to do with the business plan execution than the interest level in scuba diving.
--Jason
01-09-2008, 03:48 PM,
I am good friends with the Duluth Gander Mt. Manager.  He was one of those that declined to opportunity to put in scuba.  When we last spoke, Gander was planning on pulling Scuba from many of their stores..there was a colorado store and several souther stores that it did quite well in...They will keep those.  If i recall correctly, they alloted 1200 sq ft for scuba..they do all of their planning on a $ per sq ft basis......the numbers just werent there compared to what other products could do in the same amount of space...
Oops Did I really say that?????
01-10-2008, 01:18 PM,
to bad. they listen to the wrong people on what they needed in the store. only one store down there now. hows your back doing?