Remember me
Lost Password Register

New shipwreck in Duluth Harbor
01-21-2008, 07:47 PM,
Re: New shipwreck in Duluth Harbor
So can we drag it out into 200ft of water ;D ;D ;D
01-22-2008, 09:42 PM,
It's been a week with no updates, anything new Dean?  If CCR Diver gets his way, it would be nice if you dropped the  wreck on a grade so part of it would be shallow enough for us green horns Wink
01-23-2008, 01:15 PM,
We were pulled from the job better than a week ago, so information has not been as abundant..BUT

A team from the west coast came in and from what i heard the other day, they were able to patch it.  I am not certain if it has been emptied, but i sort of doubt it.  It still looks like its ass is sagging, and i have not seen any tanker trucks over there.  I have heard that there is a possibility that they would pump the water into the ballast tanks and just float it that way.  This way they could get it floating and still be able to pump out those tanks at a later time.  I dont have first hand account of its status...but i do have second hand account that the divers complained of the cold...an awful lot ;D ;D

Sorry i dont have more
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
01-23-2008, 01:43 PM,
Thanks dean.
grumpie....
03-14-2008, 08:19 PM,
Dean,

Radio Twin Cities says that Duluth will begin shipping this week.  What's up with the wreck?  Your earlier post was great.
03-14-2008, 08:59 PM,
Hey Clif-

We are out of the loop on this one now.  She still sits there..last i was told, she was patched and awaiting open water so it could get through the  "Soo" to get to a drydock large enough to handle her.  I really dont have any other information on it.

I hope you are well and it was nice meeting you
Deano
03-15-2008, 04:43 PM,
Hay there i still have all these 55 gallon drums sitting here waiting to be used as lift bags, they may have a little oil in them.
grumpie.........
03-15-2008, 09:23 PM,
So is it floating or still sunk in the rear? Can it be seen from canal park or where do you have to go to see it clearly?
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
03-16-2008, 02:41 PM,
I am pretty sure it is floating....as i have heard that they are cleaning the inside of it..i dont know if they pumped the water out into tanker trucks or if it has been pumped into the ballast tanks.i heard from a wheelsman that they had originally tought of doing it that was as steam cleaning them afterwords wouldnt be a big deal.  ...Corndog..the problem with it all is that even when it was sitting on the bottom, you really couldnt tell.  even from up close...the fact is it really only sunk about 4 to6 ft as its draft pretty much had it on the bottom even when it was floating.  You can see it from a distance from the dulluth side..but there really isnt anything to see as it looks completely normal from any distance..to get to it, you need to go in from the Superior side..but you most probably wont be able to it.  Its a bummer, but there just really isnt anything that would look any different that a 1000 footer (light) sitting at a dock...
Deano
05-07-2008, 08:08 AM,
I was pleased to hear that the McCarthy is now sailing again.  I think as of yesterday...I heard on the News this morning that after millions of dollars of repairs for a punctured hull ( probably the railroad tie ) that she is back into duty...I am amazed by how quickly they got it repaired....originally i heard they were thinking the ship would be down for most of the season.  I any event..i guess when millions are at stake...crap gets done..