Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Diving Anyone?
01-24-2008, 05:46 PM,
Ice Diving Anyone?
My schedule has opened and I have this weekend (Jan. 26-27) and next weekend (Feb. 2-3) available for ice diving. Is anyone going diving? The best time for me is after 1pm on Saturday and all day Sunday.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
01-24-2008, 08:27 PM,
Re: Ice Diving Anyone?
I could do next weekend. I'm going to the BWCA this weekend.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-24-2008, 09:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2008, 09:18 PM by mcdiver.)
The dive store here in St. Cloud is going out this weekend. They have 3 students and 4 "fun divers", which tells me that I will be lucky to get 2 dives in during one day. I think I got in 1 dive last time I went out with a class. I understand that the students always come first, but it is the "fun divers" who seem to "dick around" and aren't ready to blow bubbles when it's their turn.

Next weekend sounds good. I have an individual from the cities who wants to purchase my DiveRite BC, so I will have to "rig up" one of the BC's I have for my students, which shouldn't be a problem since I put all my students in backplates.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
01-25-2008, 11:31 AM,
what are your potential dive sites?
01-25-2008, 03:24 PM,
I gear up right away and then just offer to help around the hole. They usually reward you with an early dive and then if you stay ready thought the day, you can catch extra dives.

I'll go as far as Crosby, Any farther then that and I have to leave too early and my motivation at 5am just isn't there. Smile

01-26-2008, 12:19 PM,
Going to be pretty nice out tomorrow...............
01-26-2008, 09:47 PM,
Yes it is looking good for tomorrow, weather wise. I am still available to dive. My comments regarding the dive class with fun divers wasn't to say that I wouldn't dive with them, but based on 7 divers, with 3 of them needing to complete their certification, I bet I would only get 1 dive in. The instructor who is conducting the class lives in Moorehead and I am sure he isn't going to hang-around once the students have completed their required dives.

Super Bowl on Sunday, so let's dive Saturday. I live in St. Cloud, so I am open to diving pretty much anywhere. I plan to be in the cities Friday night, so if you want to dive around the metro, I will just stay overnight somewhere and meet you.

Any particular equipment you need? I have a big chainsaw and some ice anchors, bunch of caribeaners, I will bring those for sure.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
01-28-2008, 07:32 PM,
I'm long on motivation and short on ice gear. I have beaners from my climbing and an auger but I'm short a line and screws. I've considered putting a kit together but everyone seams to have one so I've been leaching.

I sell myself as "able crew" Smile With all the gear to move.... That's enough.

Count me in on a Sat. dive. I'll dive anyplace someone wants to cut a hole.
01-29-2008, 05:28 PM,
I will have to put the big bar on my chainsaw then. I bought the chainsaw especially for ice diving, but have never used it for ice diving. I bought it back in December of 2003, biggest one Jonsered had available, then added a 36" bar to boot. I have 4 ice screws and some rope and carabiners, also an ice diving harness.

All we need now is a few more divers. Doesn't matter which lake you care to dive.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
01-30-2008, 08:55 AM,

I have public safety diving all next weekend, so it's looking like I might have to pass on this weekend.