Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear
02-25-2003, 09:52 PM,
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear
Continuing my last post.
In the 5th paragragh David Crockford said the unit was functioning properly after it was recovered from the seabed several days later. If Nicholas was breathing from the unit when he went unconscious and he was found on his back by his buddys. At that point the mouthpiece would have been open, all the gas would have escaped and the breathing loop would have been flooded. With the loop flooded the Sodasorb would have turned to a caustic coctail and all 3 02 sensors would be ruined. It would be impossible for the equipment to function at all. More errors tomorrow.
Bob Olson
02-25-2003, 09:54 PM,
Yep, your right. This guy died in 1998. He was #3 of 16. According to the website you posted several of the deaths are attributed to other causes. Thanks for the site link.

Are there other CCR's out there with a similar design as the buddy inspiration? Does the buddy attract more attention (good and bad) than the others? Is it because leaders sometimes take the arrows first?
--Jason
02-25-2003, 10:06 PM,
Hey, welcome to the board.
If anything was mis-stated, please fill us in. It will be good for everyone on the board to hear from someone who dives the buddy.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
02-25-2003, 10:18 PM,
I forgot to tell what to look for at Mad Mole.
Srcoll down the left side of the page untill you see
"your going to die" fact or fiction
There is 26 pages with all the info that is available on all the fatalities.
Bob Olson
02-25-2003, 10:20 PM,
How many divers in the area are using the Inspiration?

Going Under dive shop spoke highly about it.
02-25-2003, 10:20 PM,
How many divers in the area are using the Inspiration?

Going Under dive shop spoke highly about it.
02-25-2003, 11:14 PM,
[quote='rcojr link' dateline='1046230677']
\"In the first line DRE said this is the 16th diver to die on the Inspiration he isn't he is the 3rd diver to die . He died in July 1998. I don't know why you keep recycling five year old info and pretend that is brand new this post is dated Feb 19,03.\"

True, my miscommunication. I meant it was one of sixteen and I accidentally implied an order.

In the first paragraph \"This is the first lawsuit in which a coroner reports that the diver did not die from natural causes\". In fact only one diver has died from natural causes and that was Garrett Wineberger. Four or five were diving in the ocean and were never recovered. The rest have a lot of details including Coroner's reports.

Which I did and there's two as far as I can see and some haven't been released.
Which makes it even worse: a unit that allows divers to become hypoxic or that they can take it diving without their O2 turned on and there's no override for that on a machine that electronically mixes your gas - I think I'll stick to OC.
Also, on all of my dives I do an S-drill with the full team in order to make sure all of our gas is turned on and our hoses are properly routed (ie long hose isn't caught underneath anything) and we check for bubbles (small leaks) - that's our failsafe and it is never violated and will always work. Is there a similar procedure for CCR diving?[/quote]
02-25-2003, 11:17 PM,
"If Nicholas was breathing from the unit when he went unconscious and he was found on his back by his buddys. At that point the mouthpiece would have been open, all the gas would have escaped and the breathing loop would have been flooded. With the loop flooded the Sodasorb would have turned to a caustic coctail and all 3 02 sensors would be ruined."

So your telling me he took out the mouthpiece, closed the loop and started breathing water just for fun? Or did he maybe notice he was toxing and never made it in time to his bailout?
02-25-2003, 11:21 PM,
Bob,

since you seem an expert on the unit, could you describe us how you go about diving the unit safely? For example, how do you double check on possible equipment failures, what kinda team protocols do you guys have when diving the units, how do you verify your dive partners are breathing the correct gas during deco, what kinda deco curve do you follow?

More questions later.
02-25-2003, 11:29 PM,
"In the 5th paragragh David Crockford said the unit was functioning properly after it was recovered from the seabed several days later. If Nicholas was breathing from the unit when he went unconscious and he was found on his back by his buddys. At that point the mouthpiece would have been open, all the gas would have escaped and the breathing loop would have been flooded. With the loop flooded the Sodasorb would have turned to a caustic coctail and all 3 02 sensors would be ruined. It would be impossible for the equipment to function at all."

So you explained the first part of the paragraph, but what about the second:
"However, Mr Crockford said it was interesting to note Mr Gotto¹s diving partner or others among the party-of-six did not witness an alarm-warning sound from the deceased man¹s hi-tech equipment," plus the fact that it wasn't established whether it was hypercapnia or hyperoxia - so my problem is still the same, the guy died and apparently there wasn't enough warning to allow him to do something about it...