Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear
02-26-2003, 10:47 AM,
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear
Here's a link to a reasonably well balanced article on the Buddy Inspiration and its advantages/disadvantages:

"Diver" is Britain's best selling diving magazine. The link is to an article on their website.

The article does not specifically address any of the generally cited design problems with the unit. However, it does bring in multiple perspectives on the perceived advantages/disadvantages of the unit. I'll say up front that I am not a rebreather diver and do not wish to become one. I have followed rebreather development over the past couple years out of interest, and seek to form my own opinions on merits and performance.

(BTW, on a completely unrelated note, for any road cycling geeks out there the author is the same Chris Boardman that you have heard about ... world record holder, etc. etc.)
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
02-26-2003, 11:17 AM,
The article seemd to indicate that the failure rate isn't much higher with CC over OC. But the ability to "fix" a problem while down is greatly reduced, due to reduced thinking ability and less options.

Fortunaltly for me, I have some time before this even becomes an option for me!
02-26-2003, 12:02 PM,
In nine years of diving I've never had a reg fail to deliver me gas, my BCD fail to provide boyancy, my bottom timer provide me with time and depth, my mask or fins fail, etc.

In the 4 years that I have been using O2 sensors (or have witnessed some of my friends) I have had numerous eronous readings (and I know it wasn't right because I mixed the gas myself), units fail, not turn on, give totally different readouts 5 minutes apart, etc. and that's on of the most important parts of the CCR?

What I would like to see is a list of possible fail scenarios in OC vs CC, how the problem is handled, and how long it takes to fix each scenario. That's when we really could start comparing failsafe modes of OC and CC.
02-26-2003, 12:14 PM,
That's a good article Beeger, thanks for sharing. It does seem to fairly address the issues.

It makes a good point about the statistics. You can't compare the CCR diving statistics directly with typical OC stats without taking into consideration dive time and dive difficulty.

The article also stresses that these units are not like a standard OC setup. You just can't strap them on and jump in the water. You have to follow a stricter maintenance schedule. To errer is human.

I'd like to hear from some of the CCR divers. Does this article fairly discuss the risks associated with CCR diving?
--Jason
02-26-2003, 07:36 PM,

You seem to know alot about the Inspiration. So can you expand on all the design flaws?
02-26-2003, 07:45 PM,

Off the top of my head I know of 15 but I know 3 more that will be buying them as finances allow. If you want to know more check their website they have a large FAQ page.
02-26-2003, 07:56 PM,

There are several other CCRebreathers. Inspiration rebreathers out number all the others combined by two or three to one. They are the largest and I think that is why they get bashed the most. Look at all the fun people have bashing PADI. If you want to check out some of the others look at
02-26-2003, 08:02 PM,
If you reread the whole paragragh you will see that I was talking about the gas escaping from the Inpiration and the breathing loop filling with water.
02-26-2003, 08:27 PM,
[/quote]

Is there an override on your doubles that keep you from going diving untill you turn on the valves? On the Inspiration you turn on the handsets and they scroll through the whole check list of items to check(batteries good, diluent on, 02 on,barometric preasure, percent of 02 in 02 bottle, calibrate 02 sensors, are you ready to dive?) with each check you have to push the OK button to move to the next item. When promped by the machine to check your 02 valve if you choose to press the OK button without turning on the 02 tank is that the fault of the machine? After we get in the water we drop to 20ft and do the same bubble check you do. I was Full Cave Certified in 1993 by Lamar Hires and before I bought the rebreather I was Advanced Trimix Certified by IANTD. I have been diving Trimix since 1992 back before there was a GUDC or SD&T. We read books and mixed our own gas in our garage at home.

Asbestos Shorts Installed
Flame Away
02-26-2003, 09:33 PM,
Another Inspiration diver here, posting for the first time. Hey "DRE", excuse my ignorance, I don't know you. Can you please inform me as to your actual diving experience with the Inspiration CCR or any CCR and what your current level of training is on a CCR? How may CCR dives have you logged?
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.