Remember me
Lost Password Register

Carp, Bowfishing and their effects on the lakes
07-02-2009, 07:18 PM,
Carp, Bowfishing and their effects on the lakes
Normally I would say the only thing The City Pages are good for is to house-break a pet, but an article this week caught my eye about Carp.  It is a good article :o and it talks about the effects of Rough fish in the lakes.  It also talks about the push to legalize bowfishing, which would lead one to believe it's not impossible to loosen up spearfishing restrictions-

&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
07-02-2009, 08:59 PM,
Re: Carp, Bowfishing and their effects on the lakes
Bowfishing is already legal in MN. I have done it many times.
07-02-2009, 09:13 PM,
But according to the article it was limited to certain lakes.  As well as stretches of the MN River when it was flooded over it's banks in Burnsville 15 years ago or so! 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
07-02-2009, 09:19 PM,
This is straight from the MN Regs.

Look at Page: 59
07-03-2009, 02:22 PM,
The law that passed was about shining them at night.  Until now, the only legal species to shine was Coyotes in the winter months.  There are limited amounts of lakes to do this on as a test run.  There are a couple of places I fish for Carp that have street lamps nearby, enabling you to see exactly where they are but exempting anglers from they artificial light restriction.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
07-03-2009, 09:52 PM,
And racoons...Got to love the way their eyes glow in the light! 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
07-06-2009, 09:29 AM,
Bowfishing has been legal in MN for many. many years. I used to do it as a kid and am planning on getting back into it in a limited fashion. There are certain lakes where you cannot spear or bowfish (mainly muskie brood stock lakes) but otherwise you can do it statewide.

The new law that passed a year or two ago allowed for using artificial lights to take roughfish by a spear or bow after dark starting on July 1st. Again, this is statewide anywhere spearing is allowed.

Just like any other species, carp and other "rough" fish need population management. Since very few fish with hook and line and keep these species spearing and bowfishing for them is allowed. In most cases at this point, I consider the non-native common carp a native species; just like the ringed-neck pheasant. They have found their niche and when populations are at a controlled level for the fishery carp (and other "rough" fish) do very little to no damage to a fishery.

Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com
07-07-2009, 10:02 AM,
Very interesting. I've been bowfishing and spearfishing them for years. Didn't know they were or can be such a problem. Most places I've shot them are full of diversity, several species of fish. It was good to hear that bluegills eat their eggs.