Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Diving Minnetonka Wreck with Blue Wave Scuba Sat. March 1st
02-07-2008, 07:01 PM,
Ice Diving Minnetonka Wreck with Blue Wave Scuba Sat. March 1st
Blue Wave Scuba will be running its second ice diving class of the season over a wreck in Lake Minnetonka. The main reason to ice dive would be to take advantage of the increased visibility which occurs only when muddy Minnesota lakes have been covered by ice for months. Last weekend we enjoyed 50ft+ visibility in Little Long which is usually less than 10. The last time I ice dove Minnetonka, vis was 40+. If you're gonna get cold you might as well see something!

The class will be Thursday and Friday night in the pool with diving all day Saturday. The class will be taught by an experienced commercial and rescue diver who instructs rescue teams throughout the metro. Certified ice divers are welcome for a small fee. Anybody else is welcome to help set up and help keep the bs flowin' around the hole all day. We'll have hot dogs and a warm tent. Come on out and get primed for the season!

Call the shop for complete info 952-486-7484 or check out the website
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
02-08-2008, 02:10 PM,
Re: Ice Diving Minnetonka Wreck with Blue Wave Scuba Sat. March 1st
cough, cough.....excuse me. Pedro offers you his protection.
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
02-15-2008, 05:42 PM,
"Certified ice divers are welcome for a small fee." How much is 'small fee'?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
02-27-2008, 07:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM by maizeperro.)
Dive is moved to Little Long Sat 3/1 9a - 2p due to lack of interest from certified ice divers. New ice students are better off diving in shallow water with easier access. Anybody is still welcome to come out and dive (certified, call shop for price) or B.S. We'll be right off the landing, don't have to drive on ice.  I would still like to dive Minnetonka wrecks over the next few weekends so if anybody wants to get together for free put your fingers to the keyboard and wiggle them a bit.  I have the saw, a tent, heater, one rope, biners and other misc support equip.  I need ice screws, another rope, divers, tenders and fluff girls. I just got back from Miami/Keys fully infected with dive bug which may be contagious.
02-27-2008, 08:52 AM,
" We'll be right off the landing, don't have to drive on ice"

I had to cut 28 inches of ice this weekend. We measured so it's not a guess. Forest Lake was at least 20 a few weeks ago.
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM,

You might generate a little more interest, if you're upfront about your fee and what it entails.  We ice dive all the time. We are self-supporting through our own insatiable desire to dive..........

Where were you diving in the keys?  I just got back from there myself ;D my sunburn is starting to fade 8)
02-27-2008, 10:35 AM,

Man, it's going to be May by the time I have open water to dive.  I guess I should get my ice cert. 
Good thing the fish houses around here need to be off by this weekend with all that thin ice!
02-27-2008, 02:16 PM,
The shop wants 40 bucks to dive with them, now you know why I didn't post it.  Others refuse to drive on Minnetonka, I can't blame them, no guarantees out there. I'll drive out there no problem.  So what do you think, wanna set a date. Sunday the 2nd, I can't Sat 8th but Sunday 9th is OK , 15-16 OK Its gonna get warm after that but we'll see. I've dove the Hopkins, I wanna dive the Side and Stern wheeler.
02-27-2008, 08:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2008, 08:05 PM by mcdiver.)
$40 is a "little" steep isn't it?

I don't mind paying an acceptable fee for the service provided, but it seems that most dive stores charge around $25.

Is a meal provided?
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
02-28-2008, 09:29 AM,
I could probably dive this weekend. I was thinking about going up to Bayfield and looking at the ice caves but if that plan falls apart....

The other thing we could go up to Duluth and get Flyboy to give a tour? Last weeks ice was almost too much work.

PS: Nils brand ice saw, not very good. I'm going to bring it to my saw shop and have them reset it and remove the chisel points in favor of top bevel.