Remember me
Lost Password Register

Using EANx Regulator with Air
02-11-2008, 09:26 PM,
Using EANx Regulator with Air
Hi -

I will be taking the Enriched Air Diver course from PADI very soon, in preparation for a trip to Belize. I was just reading in a product catalog about using regular air in a regulator that has been cleaned for EANx blends of up to 40%, and it said if you did that, and then wanted to use EANx, you had to first have the regulator cleaned due to the higher oxygen content in the enriched gas. Then when reading more about EANx, and that each blend has a maximum depth, I began wondering how this would be handled on my upcoming trip. I am scheduled to dive the blue hole, which I am told would be around a 120-130 foot dive, which would either require (or so I am deducing based on what I read) a blend less than the normal EANx blends or me to use straight air instead. So then I am wondering if that is the case that I have to use air, will I essentially not be able to use my reg the rest of the trip and be forced to use air, if I want to use the same regulator? If my logic above is correct, I would imagine the dive resorts would have some way to deal with this issue, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. In case you cannot tell, I am a fairly new diver and entirely new to diving with enriched air.

Thanks for any input.
02-12-2008, 12:17 AM,
Re: Using EANx Regulator with Air
Be patient and I am certain that your questions will all be answered by your EAN instructor.  All of the questions that you have identified should be addressed in the PADI manual and in your lecture portion of your class.  Bring this post to your class in order to ensure that you get all of the points covered.  You PADI instructor is an "expert" and should be well equipped to address your concerns.

Scott
Scott Wemyss<br />Air Down There SCUBA <br />9 East Little Canada Road<br />Little Canada, MN 55117<br />(651) 482-0977<br />www.airdownthere.com<br />airdownthere@msn.com
02-12-2008, 10:42 AM,
Scott gave you the most politically correct answer and i will also urge you to take these questions to your class and make sure you get them answered to your satisfaction.  Your dive center and your instructor are defintely the best places to increase your knowledge and  to get answers to your questions.  I will let you know that the biggest concerns for oxygen clean regs and equipment are for mixes that are greater than 40% O2....you will be able to use your current regulator for both air and the nitrox mixes that you will be training for.  Regarding  your other question on depth...you will need to save that for your class..you will learn about maximum depths for a particular breathing mixture..it will all become clear to you...Get through the class...and let us know how your blue hole dives go.
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
02-13-2008, 01:20 PM,
Just to echo the previous responses, your instructor should cover your questions in class.  I know I had a lot before my EAN class 10 years ago.
The issue of going between air and EAN on the same reg depends on how well the air is filtered.  If I remember correctly, not all shops had air of the same grade that would be necessary for EAN.  The resorts that offer EAN should have their air filtered to the higher standard so you can switch back and forth.  For local diving, if your shop doesn't fill EAN you should ask if they filter to the higher grade of air.  The part in you reg instructions is a CYA on their part.  Many new regs come from the factory EAN ready to 40% and that should be stated in their literature and instructions.