Remember me
Lost Password Register

Redundant Air Supply
02-12-2008, 11:52 PM,
Redundant Air Supply
The standard regulator includes a redundant 2nd stage.  If anything goes wrong upstream from the 2nd stage, one would be in deep doo-doo.  How much redundancy do you think you need?  Do you rely on your buddy, or do you carry a completely redundant system for yourself?  What system?
02-13-2008, 11:45 AM,
Re: Redundant Air Supply
I never go without an AL30 or twins. It's like seatbelts, I didn't years ago but now, it just feels spooky to drive/dive without one on.

There is a good case to be had about twins and Poseidon 'upstream' regs (or is it downstream). You know the ones that fail closed. Sure it's a suprise when the air just stops but if you also use the necklass to hold your alternate you just pop it in. Less rush to shut off a free flow. You don't lose a bunch of gas you may be counting on. It's one of the flavors of DIR but it's got more angles then a geometry book and again it's not for single tanks.

The more committing the dive the more your planning so it's really back to your training about what gear is usefull and what becomes a complicated bulky mess of hoses and nobs.

I prefer a buddy but don't rely on them. They are nice and I enjoy sharing the excitement of finding a car or something but I manage my dive as though it was solo. This assumes a skilled buddy that stays in control and isn't constantly fussing with gear or buoyancy.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
02-13-2008, 11:52 AM,
I think your system configuration depends on the type of diving. A redundant second stage along with a good buddy is fine for recreational diving.  Technical divers using mixed gases or in overhead environments should dive doubles.  Solo divers should probably dive doubles as well.  I think that any configuration in between means you have made compromises in cost and complexity.  That's the gray area where people like to debate.  Ultimately the configuration is tuned to the individual's personal risk assessment.
--Jason
02-13-2008, 12:52 PM,
A few years back, I contemplated the same issue...So i started carrying a pony bottle..at the time..it was attached to my primary tank.  After a short time, i decided to put H valves on my Primary tanks and took that 30 cf pony and began to "sling" it as i knew my direction in diving at that time.  Now i use primarily a set of twins....hp 100's ..I have many others at disposal, so i could also be seen with hp 120...and have grown fond of a set of lp63's( very comfy)..i do plan to put together a couple of sets of lp 72 steels as well....i have used those in the past and they are a nice set up..expecially with a little extra boost in them.....of course..i can be seen with a hp 120 with an "H" valve as well. 

One needs to think about the kind of diving they plan to do in their future...and if there is a chance that you plan to dive some of the more challenging stuff..like shipwrecks...it might be a good idea to think of the path of equipment purchasing that they will need to follow...then try to do their best at purchasing things that will fit into their end goal.  Many of us have spent thousand of dollars on dive gear that ended up not fitting into our end goal...

Buddies are great and a necessity..even though many of us..self included ..have been know to take a dive or two alone....why do it??....dive with a buddy..even when technical diving...and use them if you need them..if only for the little thigs...its still good to have them there...The fact is...in a recreational setting..a buddy can save your life....not as much in a technical setting, but just the same..they are a good idea...

Clif----if you happen to have questions regarding anything with your diving or equipment..feel free to shoot us an email..if only to get another opinion of your LDS.

Cheers-
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
02-13-2008, 06:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2008, 06:24 PM by DiverQueen.)
If I'm planning a fairly shallow recreational dive (Square Lake platforms for example) I just go with a buddy ( or sometimes solo if they didn't show up! :Smile ) .  If I am planning something deeper or using lift bags or going solo, then the 30c/f stage tank is definitely going to be attached!  Now where did I put that regulator??  Wink
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!