Remember me
Lost Password Register

New Diver-First Kill
02-18-2008, 07:19 AM,
New Diver-First Kill
;D I completed my open water on Thursday & Friday. Sunday I made my first kill spearfishing. Isn't that only appropriate for Shooter's Girl. New diver with speargun in hand.
Shooter took Nathanael and I down to 75' and we each did an easy shot on a sympathy kill fish.  ??? Can't remember the name. I'm not counting it as my first kill. It was so docile you could have walked up and hit it over the head with a hammer. What's the fun of that. Did another easy dive and then took Nate's smaller speargun on my third dive. I shot a Mutton (Snapper?). I was careful to take a head shot but didn't kill it. The Mutton tried to escape but in Shooter fashion I stealthy stalked the little bugger. I had reloaded my speargun and didn't want to waste my next shot. The Mutton was wounded and tired so I waited for it to stop and rest. When it was next to a rock I stabbed it with my dive knife through the head. I held on to it, with my knife still in it's head and my thumb in its gills, as I swam back to the boat. My gun was loaded and ready as I swam. I got the congrats from the hubby when I handed it up to the boat and headed back down. I shot a Strawberry Grouper but lost it to a Moray Eel. So goes life as a spearfisher woman. Had a great time my first day diving as a certified diver. Shooter's out today spearfishing with the big boys. I guess newbies weren't allowed to go as they would slow the hardcore spearfishermen down.  :'(
I guess Smith Diving did a pretty good job training me. I had a great time.
Wish I had pics of my first kill. Maybe next time.
My scuba honey is the type of guy your mama warns you about. Lucky for me, I missed that lecture. If only all girls could be so lucky.
02-18-2008, 11:12 AM,
Re: New Diver-First Kill
;D
Concrats on entering the world of diving!!!

Don't sweat the "newbie" staus as it won't last long with all the diving you'll be doin.  Enjoy the warm weather and the "soft" water.....Temp here was 0 this morning - when  I cut a hole through the "hard" water on Saturday for a dive it was 20+ inches.

Post us some photos when ya can  Big Grin 
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM,
Wait til the ice goes out on Mille Lacs and we can all do some underwater fishing!  I'll just use a rod and reel though!  When does Cap'n Shooter expect ice out?  ;D
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
02-20-2008, 07:42 AM,

Congratulations sweetheart! :-* :-*  she took to diving and spearing like a fish takes to water 8)! I have had three to four different diving an spearing trips to the Florida Keys.  On every trip, I have been pursuing the elusive mutton snapper....... to no avail :'(. My lovely wife is on her second to third dive after being certified, and first-time spearfishing comes back with the treasure of the elusive mutton snapper that I have been chasing for years.  ???  Sorry about not taking the picture....It must have been a subconscious Freudian slip trying to protect my male ego.

We had some wonderful weather and diving opportunities.  We were out on mobile divers boat for 2 1/2 days. 
02-20-2008, 09:05 AM,
??? Rod and Reel? Homey Don't play that game. I think the hubby and I'll be sneaking away to the keys again (without kids! >Big Grin) before we go down that road. I'm suppossed to be working right now, but I'm already online shopping for my own spear gun.  ;D

Thanks Art!
My scuba honey is the type of guy your mama warns you about. Lucky for me, I missed that lecture. If only all girls could be so lucky.
02-20-2008, 11:55 AM,

I sure do like my pnuematic gun... I think I'd look close at the pnuematics.. wholly power!!  There's some really good ones out there from russia.. and the others can be modified quite easily for even more umph.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
02-22-2008, 01:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2008, 01:40 PM by Shooter.)

Kept pretty busy with five newly certified divers, didn't get a chance to take as many pictures as I would've liked.  We'll do better next time...

Here are a few
    (yes I told him to get off the bottom)

Attached Files
.jpg   backyard buddys.JPG (Size: 734.3 KB / Downloads: 97)
.jpg   IMG_0142.JPG (Size: 610.67 KB / Downloads: 77)
.jpg   IMG_0139_3.JPG (Size: 629.72 KB / Downloads: 84)