Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Dive 03-08-08
03-03-2008, 12:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2008, 03:26 PM by Shooter.)
Re: Ice Dive 03-08-08

I'm game for either. We can save millelacs for when art can go. Looks like it's the three to 5 carot option. I am pretty sure we can drive anywhere green. I will scout it out ahead of time to make sure.  Worst-case scenario wheelers running like a champ now. We can dive the spot to the right of the access. Plan on being at the landing at 8 a.m..  We can dive out of my small shelter.

Attached Files
.jpg   diamond ring.jpg (Size: 19.61 KB / Downloads: 54)
.jpg   diamond ring.jpg (Size: 19.61 KB / Downloads: 54)
03-03-2008, 05:39 PM,
:'(
OK,
So mark me as OFFICIALLY jealous.  I suppose I should also get marked as officially greedy too... I've got 14 Ice dives in this year and am just PUMPED ta get some more....  This TRULY is my FAVORITE time ta dive here.  ;D

If I wasn't workin ya know I'd be out ther with ya!!!  Of course if I wasn't workin........well lets just say I probably wouldn't be divin....So I guess a balance is in order here.  OK...So just maybe I am a lucky guy ;D

Take some pics while yer out so I can live vicariously  :Smile
03-03-2008, 06:14 PM,
Art,
14! Jeez, I'll have to bring 3 tanks and catch up. But then the two we did on Green you got 90 minutes so I suppose it's more like 10 hours bottom time.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-04-2008, 07:41 AM,
It's hard to follow you guys wiith all of your code talking. What's with the ring? Did somebody lose one like that or did somebody find one like that? What do you guys do on your ice dives besides look at mudd? Do you use reels or ropes and how far do you go out? are you  mainly treasure hunting?
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
03-04-2008, 08:44 AM,
I don't know about a ring ether, I assume someone lost one. But honestly it doesn't take much to get me to dive. I can't see enough mud.

Ice is like any other dive, except the vis is generally better and you're leashed like a dog. Smile So the question about what we do is really the same as any OW dive in MN lakes.

03-04-2008, 03:09 PM,
So why don't you guys get down to Minnetonka where you can see something that cannot be seen in the summer. Diving Minnetonka wrecks or incredible viz at Wazee are the only dives that are worth it to me. Crosby might be good too. I think there are a dozen small wrecks in 'Tonka that are worth getting cold for.
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
03-04-2008, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM by Shooter.)

Just diving, no code talking.  :Smile A little bit of jive Talkin maybe.  8) We just add the exciting experiences of Our dives into some of our dive reports, if you were there You would understand. ;D

Yes, I know of a ring that was lost on green lake......... is either a 3 ^ or 5 ^ depending on who you talk to.  I had hoped to find it and use it to ask my then girlfriend now wife to marry me.  Yes, I guess I am a romantic at heart :-[.  I didn't want to wait or take any chances.  So I bought a ring to seal the deal until I can find the lost treasure.

We normally dive in heavily fished areas, so we are always finding stuff.  We even found our own shipwreck this year!  We like to dive areas that haven't seen a lot of divers. It is the same theory that you have, if you dove in the summertime you want and be able to see anythingWe use 130 foot dive rope with 150 foot safety backup rope.  We do plan on implementing some cave diving techniques into our ice diving.  Right now, I dive and HP 130 with a 30 ft.³ pony.  Eventually we plan on using a 250 foot to 300 foot main line.  I will then switch over to my doubles :o  I'm sure there are a lot of people, who will freak out when they read this :o.  But then again I would imagine they are the same people who thought Nitrox was vodoo gas  >Big Grin

Crosby is good in the summer, plus the odds of finding something there, When there are so many divers are pretty slim

03-05-2008, 08:20 AM,
All sounds good to me but I can't dive this weekend.  What do you  think about the 15/16 on Tonka? From what I've heard the sternwheeler is as far from intact as it can get but I'm sure there will be a lot to see. Minnetonka has more history that most other lakes and I would not describe it as heavily dived. It's really close to me but maybe not for you guys.  I like the long line idea. I believe the sternwheeler is at 50 ft or so. I've always wanted to ice dive wazee cave style with reels.  Although it's a bit harder to find your line in a huge lake I think anybody who has dove Wazee enough would be able to find their way back to a hole near the main access. Sounds crazy but so does cave diving.
03-05-2008, 11:14 AM,
Art tells me he's busy on the 15/16th. I'm probably free. Anyone else available?

I'm only NACD Cavern so I'm not comfortable with just reels. Let me know and I'll help around the hole.

03-05-2008, 08:09 PM,
Have another class on the 15th & 16th, so it is not looking good for getting much ice diving in this winter.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201