Remember me
Lost Password Register

Sealife ReefMaster Mini SL320
02-29-2008, 07:48 PM,
Sealife ReefMaster Mini SL320
Has anyone used the Sealife ReefMaster Mini SL320 digital camera? I need to buy an underwater camera as my 5 mega-pixel Sony finally crapped out on the last vacation. This was an above water camera only but the cheaper "semi-disposable" underwater cameras that I brought with were disappointing also. They did not flood at 90' but the photos were very bad. I have the ReefMaster Mini in my sights now as I saw a photo album in the GLSPS show and the pictures were taken with a SL320. They were crisp and very nice. The SL320 is a 6.0 MP camera and the video capability is not that great at 24 frames per second. I found a place where I can get one of these SL320's with an external flash, fiber optic flash cable, a separate 50 degree wide angle lense, a 1 GB SD card and a soft case for $450.00. Its sounds like the cats pajamas. I know zero about cameras and I don't plan on taking award winning pictures but I think it would be cool to show people that cant dive what I see when I'm down there. I know that there are "deals" on above water digital cameras and that you can buy an after-market case but this little rugged camera package seems too good to be true. Let me know if I'm making a mistake...
03-01-2008, 09:54 AM,
Re: Sealife ReefMaster Mini SL320
that sounds like a lot of equipment for that price to me... I had about the same dollar amount into my canon a610 5mpix, canon u.w. housing, and 1 gig card... it's a bit more camera than you're looking at but no external flash and no ability to add optional lenses to the canon housing.  I'm not familiar with the SL320 but it sounds like you would be getting quite a lot for the $$.

I hope that an upgrade to the camera helps you with the poor quality pictures..  I've gotten great pics from disposable $10 cameras and I've also gotten louzy pics from my canon.. (and vice-versa), you just never know...

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-01-2008, 10:28 AM,
Thanks for the reply Fred. I like the fact that it is compact with a rubber armored stainless steel housing over the actual camera. I didn't realize how these external flashes actually work until I started to research them. They have a fiber optic cable from the external flash to the cameras "Flash deflector" that makes the external flash "see" the cameras flash and simultaneously make the external flash go off. there is a separate bracket that you can buy for an additional $20 that mounts to the external flash bracket so that you can "dock" the separate wide angle lense to it and then switch while underwater. apparently the camera can be set up with two external flashes for an additional $170. This camera seems like the "swiss army knife" of cameras. My problem is that once I get interested in something I want to add that to my list of things that I MUST DO while diving. I don't want to get labeled as the gadget guy and look like some kind of underwater gypsy carrying everything I own while diving. I never was a boyscout but I like to be prepared.

John
03-02-2008, 09:52 AM,
Here are a few more photos we took with the "semi-disposable" 35 mm cameras:
The first one is of me trying to blow "smoke rings" at 90 feet on the deck of the C-56 wreck.
The second one is me succeeding at it.
The third one is me looking under some coral at 53 feet.
I know that they don't cover "blowing smoke rings" in the NAUI manuals nor does it serve a purpose but it is fun to try and watch the air rings getting bigger as they rise.

Attached Files
.jpg   849386-R1-23-14_024.jpg (Size: 667.2 KB / Downloads: 87)
.jpg_thumb   849386-R1-23-14_024.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.09 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg   849386-R1-17-20_018.jpg (Size: 656.35 KB / Downloads: 90)
.jpg   849386-R1-14-23_015.jpg (Size: 704.76 KB / Downloads: 98)
03-03-2008, 11:45 AM,
You may want to do some research on this camera at a forum like Wetpixel:

While the package you list is economical, you may lose some flexibility in the long run.  For example, you may want to upgrade to another camera in a few years and find that the strobe won't work with the new camera.  It sounds pretty good for under $500 though.
--Jason
03-06-2008, 08:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM by DetectorGuy.)
I did purchase the camera, digital strobe, mini wide angle lens, and lens dock that mounds to the tray, but it has not showed up yet. At the last minute I upgraded the external strobe to the Sealife SL960d. This is a digital strobe which is (unfortunately) just recently discontinued (repacement parts might be a bugger to get). They gave me a good deal on it. it was $349 on sale for $200. I made sure that it had the optical strobe cable to insure it flashes. It has a variable intensity to prevent washing out shiny fish at close range. The next step up, as far as Sealife camera strobes, was the SL961 (this is the one that replaced the SL960d) This SL961 looks like its more streamlined but from what I could tell it had the same specs as the SL960d. I cant wait to get in the green, murky water this spring and see what it all does.
03-20-2008, 07:55 PM,
Do people do much underwater photography around here?  My experience at Square was pretty murky.
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM,
Lake Superior has pretty good visibility, and some nice wrecks to take pictures of.  The Maderia near Split rock lighthouse and the Hesper just outside the Silver Bay Marina are a couple good sites you can access from shore.

Lake Wazee in Wisconsin, and many of the old iron pits in northern MN can be good places for pictures, especially in the shallows where there is good light and usually fish willing to pose for shots.

You don't get the spectacular colors of tropical reefs, but I usually can find things to interest me.

These sites are all 2-3 hours from the Twin Cities.

Jeff
Jeff