Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR Fundamentals
05-06-2002, 03:23 PM,
DIR Fundamentals
How about a full report from the DIRF class this weekend?
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
05-06-2002, 03:45 PM,
Re: DIR Fundamentals
Well, at this point I can only aspire to mediocrity as a diver after seeing Andrew Georgitsis (GUE Training Director), Mike Kane and James Endicott in the water.<br><br>We went back to the basics.  A lot of the skills that are performed as a BOW student were done this weekend.  The big twist was to do it while trying to stay rock steady at depth in the water.  Maintaining bouyancy and trim while doing mask removals, air share drills, valve shutdown drills, etc. is tougher than it looks.  The instructors made it look like it was the easiest thing in the world.  <br><br>Add to that great presentations on buddy skills, communication, equipment procedures, basic deco discussions, gas management, etc.  We also practiced several kick methods.  Finning backwards is cool.  It was a great class.<br><br>The five of us who are local who took the class are going to be doing a lot of skills practicing this year.  <br><br>It was well worth the time it took to arrange the class out here and it was a great deal at the final price.  <br><br>There was discussion with the instructors about doing another one here in the future.  I would highly recommend this class to everyone.  There is a lot to learn even if you don't lik DIR.<br><br>Joel  
05-06-2002, 10:34 PM,
At the risk of sounding foolish, how do you fin backwards. Or is that something that you have to learn by doing? Sounds like you all had a pretty busy weekend.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
05-07-2002, 01:37 AM,
This is going to sound like a simple explanation, but you reverse the motion of a frog kick.<br><br>If you check out under class info and then DIR Fundamentals there are a bunch of videos.  The reverse kick is on the list.  The rest are worth watching as well.  <br><br>The owner of Fifth Dimension is who did the class.<br><br>Joel
05-07-2002, 03:54 PM,
That's the problem trying to explain techniques like that. It sounds easy, and then you watch someone, and it looks reeaaly easy. Then I try it and it's harder than a @#tch. :o<br><br> I think that's why they say DIR is holistic. Anyone can buy the gear, and reading the books don't take alot either. It's learning the skills that make you DIR and that is where the rubber hits the road. Congrats on your new skills, and yes I'm envious. Maybe next time they come to town...

Tom