Remember me
Lost Password Register

best transportation cozumel
03-14-2008, 08:00 AM,
best transportation cozumel
Having never been there before, not sure if you rent a car or take a taxi? We won't be out and about that much basically from the resort to the dive shop.  We will tentatively be staying here

Cozumel, Mexico: 50 Av. bis and St. 19 south #901. Cozumel, Quintana Roo 77600 MEXICO.

I would like to dive here at least 1-2 days. (We need to eat ;D)

I'm looking for recommendations of other places to dive. Bare minimum accommodations are okay. Need to have the freedom to dive our own program.  Would like to stay away from the dive police.  Basically just looking for a ride to the good dive sites. Also any good shore diving.

03-14-2008, 10:50 AM,
Re: best transportation cozumel
Shooter, you are in the North Hotel Zone which is a long ways from the majority of dive sites.  You are 2 miles from town and 5 miles from where we usually stay and dive from.  Taxis are a little more scarce in the North Zone than in town or down south.  I would rent a car (Budget seems to be the best price with reliable cars) or Rentadora is ok too.  Budget will deliver to your hotel just ask the desk to call for you.  There is good diving (for you) up north at Barracuda reef which is basically right out front of your place.  This is not however for new divers.  You would love it - fast currents through a great cut in the coral where little stuff swarms and big stuff hangs out to eat.  Lots of divers see schooling eagle rays up there.  This is advanced diving and the operators won't take divers without enough experience.  It is difficult to get away from the scuba police on Cozumel.  I don't know of any operators who will just give you transport and let you loose.  Because of the Marine Park and the tight Gov't. control of tourism, they are pretty careful.  My top 5 are - Palancar Bricks, Palancar Caverns, Santa Rosa Wall, La francesa and Delilah.  For food - El Moro for great wrapped fish, La Paroquia - lobster and margaritas - Lobster House for general seafood.
03-14-2008, 01:07 PM,
I agree on the reefs you mentioned, they are some of my favorites also.
La Paroquia is also on my list, excellent grilled shrimp.
I am very sad that we are not going this time.
hudsondivingdiva
03-14-2008, 02:47 PM,

Thanks for the recommendations, starting to get excited.

How do they know your experience level?

What other dive places do you recommend
03-14-2008, 09:42 PM,
Any parts of Palancar are good dives. Lee mentioned two, the others are Palancar Gardens and Palancar Horseshoe. In addition to Lee's other favorites, I also like Columbia Pinnacles and Columbia Shallows, Paso del Cedral (Cedar Pass). Tormentos and Paradise are nice second dives. They are also good night dive spots. I have also dove Punta Sur and Maracaibo. They are way south (costs extra to hit these spots). They are deeper dives, but in comparison there is not as much marine life to look at. Can't really go wrong on any of the sites in Cozumel. The dive operators will ask your experience level and will check your C-Card.

Some of my favorite restaurants are PePe's Grill, Prima, Guido's. Casa Denis is also good. La Parroquia is very good. The only problem is it doesn't look like much now. The building it was in was torn down. The are temporarily set up on the back (east side) of "La Plaza (the main square). The word is that they will eventually move into the back side of the new building that is under construction.

Have fun!
03-15-2008, 10:55 AM,
Thanks for all the recommendations. What about specific charter operations? I do not need to be coddled. I assemble rinse and dissassemble my own gear. I dress myself and require no assistance. ( Except ice diving  :-[ need a bigger harness). I would like to get at least a 3tank dive per day. Would like to schedule some of these good sites in advance. Want to stay away from the dive police... as much as possible. Also would like to know about shore dives / snorkels. I understand there is alot of current. we like to put in in one spot and drift to another then take a taxi or other means of transportation back.
03-15-2008, 12:05 PM,
We always use the Scuba Shack but they don't run to the north sites. and are very recreational.  The north sites require the shop to get pre-approval from the harbor-master.  Take a look at Dive Cozumel -().  We've had customers use them before.  They are a tech (hogarthian) shop and their website has lots of good site info.
03-15-2008, 02:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2008, 02:15 PM by ScubaAl.)
will get you there. I dove with Rollie some years back. A bit on the unorganized side, took away from the enjoyment. We dove the north end, and the cave south of town.
For dinner one night check out El Moro 75 Bis Norte #124 between 2 and 4th. Not open Thursdays. Need a cab to get there but will be well worth it.
As far as diving goes,  all dives are guided, so don't expect to go at it alone (except shore). Maybe someone knows of an exception, but I don't.
                                                                  Al
03-15-2008, 08:09 PM,
Shooter,
The two previous trips I dove with Dive Paradise larger boats,larger groups, good food for dive intervals. Our whole group had the entire boat each time.
Second time I dove with Roberta from The Village TanKah, small operation, inexpensive and nice people, I can get her email address for you if you want. She is also affiliated with the Scuba Shack and when I stayed at her place we sent payment to the scuba shack in Bemidji.
Very small groups, about five people. From her place you can do all the shore diving that you want.
Far south end of the island, we did not have guides with us on the shore dives.
As far as I know all dives have guides, but I have been told I am a candy ass because I never dive with out a dive master.
I can't help that all of my male dive buddies are dive masters, but I also have my own instructor that I live with.
I am not the expert on the island, with only two trips.
Did you get the fax?

hudsondivingdiva
03-16-2008, 07:22 AM,
Re: best transportation cozumelhttp://www.cozumel-hotels.net/casa_del_mar/
Having stayed at Hotel Cozumel many time I have had a opportunity to use Dive Paradise. For "me" I don't care for them. Just too many problems, like signing up to dive. Show up in the morning, not on any list so no dive. They offered me a trip in the afternoon, but I really don't care to dive afternoons. Too much else I like to be doing.
If you do use them, stay away from the large boats, very slow and often with lots of newer divers. Have had good luck with Blue Bubbles.http://www.bluebubble.com/ And last year used del Mar aquatics They worked out OK. Used them because friends where staying at Casa Del Mar
Have a great trip, Al