Remember me
Lost Password Register

ice dive millelacs 3-30-08
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM,
Re: ice dive millelacs 3-30-08
Certainly wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion. Looks like a "tool" to my untrained and aging eyes. Shooter / Deano, keep us posted on the good Doctor's interpretation of "the find".
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM,
I'll do my end shooter.....actually i already sent off the email with an attached picture
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM,

Thanks! I missed those last few posts. Very interested to get a second opinion....
05-15-2008, 02:35 PM,

(in his best Groucho Marx voice...) "well, you're ugly too!"  ;D

(just feeling a little fiesty at work today and couldn't pass up the opportunity to give somebody some good-natured crap...  the opinions expressed in this message are not intended to be interpreted as reality and are only intended as humor.)

Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
05-22-2008, 10:24 AM,
Shooter-
Here is the response I got from Kira ....

Mike and Dean,

Is the metal ferrous or iron?  You can tell by taking a magnet to it.  If the metal sticks, it is iron and more recent.  Some historic points were made from iron.  So if it is iron, it could be a historic European spear point or a historic Native American spear point (dating from 1600’s to 1800’s).  It could also be a deteriorated piece of historic metal from a boat or other piece of machinery.

If the magnet does not stick, it may be copper.  Prehistoric Native Americans did make copper spear points such as the item pictured.  Much of the copper came from Michigan .  Native Americans were making copper spear points as long as 6000 years ago.  The copper points that Native American made were typically not 10 inches long – that is pretty big for a Native American point.

Website with some information about the Archaic copper tool tradition follows with the web link.  In the literature it is sometimes called the “Old Copper Culture.”

It doesn’t look like copper to me though from the picture

Hope that helps!  Thanks for the picture.  If they find anything else, let me know.  I heard of divers finding things in Lake Koshkonong last summer.

Kira

Kira Kaufmann, Ph.D., RPA

Marine Archaeologist

Florida Public Archaeology Network, Dep. of Anthropology

Florida Atlantic University

111 East Las Olas Blvd.

Suite AT817

Ft. Lauderdale, FL. 33301
05-22-2008, 10:27 AM,
Clearly she was under the impression that this was made of metal of some kind...my fault..i did not specify what it seemed to be made of.  I will respond to her and ask her of the possibility of it being a stone tool from the area..
Deano
05-22-2008, 10:38 AM,
response sent...i'll let you know
Deano
05-22-2008, 03:05 PM,
I remember the last time I mentioned anything about artifacts... some clever guy put this photo as a response:

Attached Files
.png   poltergeist.png (Size: 35.16 KB / Downloads: 151)
05-30-2008, 12:25 PM,

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D