Remember me
Lost Password Register

Instructor warning
03-20-2008, 03:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-20-2008, 01:54 PM by fishfreak.)
Instructor warning
I got certified this past summer by a LDS.  My certification card arrived with an instructor's name on it that I never heard of.  When I called the LDS questioning this, I felt a bit brushed off.  So, I called the certification agency and found out that my instructor was not even a valid instructor!

03-20-2008, 07:43 AM,
Re: Instructor WARNING!

Was your training not adequate?  I know a lot of times dive masters help with the training.  And speaking from experience,  Just because they have the certification card does not always make them qualified.  I have dove with people who have all the cards and the book knowledge,  But really lack good diving skill.

;D Welcome to the world of diving  ;D  now you get to boldly go where very few have gone. My wife and all 5 kids except one(he's only six but an avid snorkler) are certified divers. It is a wonderful family activity. They were all trained by Smith, who I feel goes above and beyond what comes to the initial training.  I had contemplated the homeschooling method to save some money, but was glad I didn't.
03-20-2008, 07:53 AM,
Well, I paid alot of money for my class, and I assumed I was going to have a certified instructor!

As a new diver, how am I supposed to know what's good or bad?  I do know I felt a bit rushed in the pool, but other than that I didn't have any problem.
03-20-2008, 09:01 AM,

Try to focus on your training, relax, breath in, breath out,  picture yourself floating through space, and enjoy the dive. I read alot of diving books when I first started. I have always found that any dive is a good dive. I have logged close to 300 dives or maybe more and am still learning. It is usually a little awkward at first. Just remember to relax and take your time. I have a routine that I go through on almost every dive. With each dive the comfort level increases. Get in on some fun dives and pair yourself with someone more exp. Let them know your exp level and I am sure they will help you out.

ps log your dives. I missed the boat on this one. My comp logs them when I wear it but it doesn't note the highlights. I wish I could go back and read through my dive history.
03-20-2008, 10:43 AM,
Thanks Shooter.  BTW: I wasn't intending to slam any LDS.  I didn't have a problem with the quality of my instruction.  Just felt like it was misrepresented.
03-20-2008, 02:34 PM,
Re: Instructor warning
Speaking of dive logs...I started logging my dives on Diverecord.com...to me it's just a good back up if I  :o happened to lose my log book...
03-20-2008, 03:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM by arcFlash.)
- redacted -
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-20-2008, 05:43 PM,
Contact the certifying agency and file a complaint against the instructor who signed the card and the shop that endorsed this practice.  You didn't get what you paid for. Why should they get by with this when the rest of us have to abide by the rules. 
Captain Brian<br />www.mn-blackdogdiving.com
03-20-2008, 07:05 PM,
Just to update anyone interested:  I pm'd Fishfreak a few minutes ago to apologize for the trouble we've caused him/her.  I'm anxious to hear back as I am not aware of any of our Instructors being inactive or not current and have not heard anything from NAUI.  I'll take this opportunity to apologize publically.  It seems like someone (probably me) made a mistake and used the wrong Instructor on the registration form, then we handled it poorly in the shop when asked about it..  To answer one post - NAUI (and I believe all agencies) won't process a registration to an Instructor who is not active at the time of training. We will do whatever we need to do to make this right and satisfy our customer.
03-21-2008, 07:26 AM,
Stay tuned.  Lee asked me to stop by the store to talk to him.  Since I've received so many PMs, I will post an update after I talk to Lee today.