Remember me
Lost Password Register

If you could choose just one dive site in Minnesota
03-21-2008, 01:48 PM,
If you could choose just one dive site in Minnesota
If you could choose just 1 (one) dive site in the state of Minnesota and you could only dive that site the rest of your life what would it be and why?  Remember now the question is 1 dive site.  The North Shore of MN does not qualify for 1 site nor does saying the mines at Crosby.  It has to be 1 specific dive site.
Let's have some fun with this and see what everyone thinks.
03-21-2008, 03:46 PM,
Re: If you could choose just one dive site in Minnesota
Any chance it can be.." a location that 1. should be in Minnesota..or 2. a location that is most commonly accessed from Minnesota?   Ifigured not.....So that means that i cant just say Lake Superior...

so..
1. The Madiera or any of the other north shore wrecks are too limited in what they offer..as much as i love big wrecks.. the challenge goes away after a while if you dive the same wreck over and over again..and with a limit on the depth i dont see them as being my choice..

At this point, i would have to go with OreBGone...while its not my favorite dive site, it currently offers quite a few fun things to see..vis is acceptable now and hopefully back to pretty strong in the future...it has the depth to continually train and challenge myself..and it is the only location that has proven itself as a place where future dive attractions may be added..also..you cant beat the local trails and 4x4 park for cycling and quadding.  And lets not forget the Jerk house

Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM,
I would have to agree with Capt Dean.  Ore-B-Gone has so many variations of underwater terrain and so much area that I have not yet explored. The access and campground are great, but you just cannot beat the sunrise overlooking the lake on a frosty morning.
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
03-21-2008, 04:17 PM,
Viz being a large factor I'd choose Lake Mine.  I always enjoy diving there even if it's the same dive over an over.  I always manage to see something new that I missed the last time there.
03-21-2008, 06:46 PM,
Crane Lake I guess. I spent 4 hours on snorkel and it was the best time I've ever had in the water. Vis is fair, brown with no turbidity so lights make a big difference. It's large with lots of rock. I want to hunt for lost gear (motors, boats...) and historic artifacts. I could spend a lifetime and never see it all.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-21-2008, 07:26 PM,
I'd have to hang with Lonnie at Lake Mine. I've never had a dive I didn't like there. St James would be a very close second.
03-21-2008, 08:30 PM,
When I was a kid We used to drive past this lake "Roosevelt" up by Emily or Outting on our way up to the cabin further North. I heard my parents talking about a tornado that swept along the West shore of that lake back in the sixties and I guess there were dozens of cabins that were swept into the lake. I havent dove this lake yet but it is on my list of must-dives. One can only imagine what is on the bottom...
03-22-2008, 07:17 AM,
Well, I can tell you it's not Square, although ironically many of us have more dives in Square than other sites in MN!  I haven't been to Ore-b-gone yet, but hope to check it out.  So I guess either Superior (who could get bored there?) Or the something in Crosby.
03-22-2008, 08:32 AM,
Hi all,
Just a quick reminder you can choose only one "Dive Site".  Lake Superior and Crosby are to broad so it would need to be a specific dive site in Lake Superior or a specific mine at Crosby and you can choose only "One".  That makes it a lot harder choice but, it also makes it more interesting. Thanks for everyone who has chimed in so far.  Hopefully a lot more will add in there choice.  It's really fun to see where people would choose and why.  Please keep choices coming.
Thanks
03-25-2008, 04:03 PM,
I was hoping more divers would jump in with there favorite MN dive location.  Anyone else that would like to tell us if you could dive only one dive site in MN for the rest of your life which "one" would it be?