Remember me
Lost Password Register

TALL new diver
01-25-2004, 05:22 PM,
TALL new diver
I am 6'8" tall/230lbs. and I am going to Belize at the end of March to get certified.
I wanted to get a full wetsuit in order to provide protection from critters/sun/temperature but I am finding (not surprisingly) that none of the size charts I've looked at even come close to fitting my size. I can't justify the expense of a custom-made suit at this time...so I'm wondering if a 3mm Shorty would be sufficient for Belize being that I'm a generally hot-blooded bloke.
Should I look at a specific manufacturer for a quality Shorty? If I got a Henderson Shorty could I later incorporate it into the "layering system" if I wanted to dive in cooler temps?
Thanks for the time!
-Slim
01-25-2004, 07:33 PM,
Re:TALL new diver
Shorty should be just fine. My son-in-law is 6'8" I'll ask him where he get his suits to fit and get back to you
01-26-2004, 12:30 AM,
just back from cozumel/playa area, I wore a full suit and my wife wore a shorty.. twice, while shore snorkeling/fdiving and quite a ways out, she had trouble because of the jellyfish..enough so that we had to head back closer to shore to get out of them. I just got it once on the cheek...
For the critters the full was nice.
She'll be consdering a full suit next time around.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-26-2004, 07:51 AM,
all you need for jelly fish is a dive skin not a wet suit. If you are only going to be in warm water consider a dive skin it will give a little protection and you won't over heat. Very few people wear a wet suit in tropical environments. If your going to dive local you can hold off and just get a 7mm wet suit closer to summer. Or better yet save up for a dry suit. Wet suits dictate when and where you can dive around these parts. For tropical waters though I would just pick up a dive skin. Shorts and a tee shirt work well too.
01-26-2004, 09:13 AM,
I agree a skin is great a fleece lined one is even better if the water temp is over 80 degrees, or you are swimming so much that the exercise is keeping you warm, but if you take time to move slow and see all there is to see or if you are into getting that great photo shot I would wear something.
As far as very few people wear wear wet suits while in the Caribean this person must only go in the summer when the water is above 85 In my travels I see a lot of wet suits and even Cardean Dry Suits. So if you have one bring it so you don't have to rent. It's up to you.
01-26-2004, 10:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2004, 10:37 AM by beeger.)
Wetsuit and drysuit sizing charts can be fairly inaccurate. I'm 6'3" 180 lbs and I have found that Large-Tall sized wetsuits fit me really well. I've owned O'Neill and Henderson brand full wetusits (both are excellent quality). I've never found a shorty that fit me because shortys don't come in tall sizes (not that I've seen anyway). Trust me on this: if you are a tall guy you DO NOT want a shorty that is too short for your torso. You will end up with one heck of a wedgie every time you straighten out your body. Unless you want to spend your entire dive vacation doing the ol' "reach-around-and-pull-it-out" every five minutes, be careful if considering a shorty. That being said, try some suits on if possible. Maybe you will find one that works for your body type.

I never recommend a shorty to anyone. I would suggest a 3 mil or less full neoprene wetsuit. I'm not a big fan of skins or fleece dive suits, but that's just me. Call around to some of the local shops and see what they have in stock that might fit you and/or might be willing to "get in" for you to try on. Failing that there are a number of online stores that carry dive westuits in the larger/taller sizes.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
01-27-2004, 09:22 PM,
If you can find a shorty that is long enough, you should be fine in Belize in March. I went to Roatan, not far from there at that time, water is in the upper 70's low 80's. I'm not as tall as you (6'4") but have a longer torso than legs. My shorty is an off brand, but I was able to find a XXL that was long enough. You'll likely be kneeling in sand for your training dives doing skills, but that shouldn't present a problem.

Jeff L
Jeff
01-28-2004, 07:50 AM,
There are several options for custom suits where I don't think that the cost is too outrageous. Probably less than some of the better known brands off of the shelf. You might be able to get one before March.

Here are two:

I bought a drysuit from Ocean Ray a few years ago. I thought that the workmanship was very good.

JoelW
01-29-2004, 12:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2004, 01:02 PM by tpscuba.)
Like I said my son-in-law is 6'8" and he does a lot of diving being in Florida. To get a good fit he has his made in Miami by Aquatic average cost $500.00 I do like Loels sight I am going to pass this on to my son-in-law.
02-13-2004, 07:29 PM,
Defying all odds...the 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch XL-Long is a perfect fit. Thanks for all the input.

By the way, I have received STELLAR service from Scubacenter (Eagan).
-Slim