Remember me
Lost Password Register

What's the oddest thing you've found diving?
03-22-2008, 11:21 PM,
What's the oddest thing you've found diving?
An unopened bottle of beer. Normally, it's empty beer cans.  Steve once found a $5 bill floating at about 15 ffw.  I think we were in Snail Lake.
03-23-2008, 07:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2008, 07:44 AM by arcFlash.)
Re: What's the oddest thing you've found diving?
oops, thought this said, oldest...
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
03-23-2008, 09:15 AM,
I'd have to say the head on the Madeira wreck in May of 2003.    Not so much because of the object itself but because of the odd history behind it that I discovered from one of our members at the GLSPS show last month.
03-23-2008, 08:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2008, 08:19 PM by DetectorGuy.)
I was trying out the metal detector last fall at Fish Lake near Harris, MN under the floating dock at the public beach and I found a matching pair of earrings. They were big hoop style and probably not expensive but they were matching. They probably were set on the edge of the floating dock and slid into the water is my guess. This is where the plot thickens... I heard about a horse drawn bob-sled that went through the ice on this "Fish Lake" way back in the day. I spoke to a few divers that tried looking for the metal runners and harness parts that would be on the bottom if the story was true. They all looked but no one found anything... Well that day when I was looking for loot under the dock area I found a lot of things and I started to expand my search for loot out in a little deeper water... Mind you that this was only in 7'. The metal detector went off again and I reached into the muck expecting to find another beer can or maybe a pair of sunglasses, but I grabbed on to a large rectangular steel frame about 4'-5' wide and 8' long. This was heavy and suctioned about 18" into the silt. I tried to pull it up but it was not coming up easily. I was just about out of air after about 90 minutes in the water so I left it there. It very well could have been the elusive bob sled, right there at the public beach just a few feet under where all those teens used to hang out for all those years...
03-23-2008, 09:33 PM,
You guys got me beat, only a full can of grape soda!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
03-24-2008, 06:50 AM,
Well john maybe we will have to get out the lift bags and see what you found come spring.
03-24-2008, 09:45 AM,
A guy here with the shop (Blue Wave), Jeremy, found a dead deer in Crosby last year, kinda nasty. It looked like it must have fallen through the ice and drowned.

The most unusal thing I've seen is the "front yard scene" in Mahnomen 1.  If you go to the point between Mahnomen 1 and 2 off to the left is the "front yard scene". White picket fence surrounds indoor/outdoor carpet with lawn chairs, mail box and other plastic lawn ornaments. Obviously strange thing to find underwater but what possessed people to set it up? It's very funny and extremely odd. I guess they got the reaction they were looking for. Check it out, it's a great dive spot, has a flat shallow area great for beginners.  The best part is there are usually a half a dozen big bass following you around who love to be fed and even allow you to touch them! I love taking new divers there. Get's em hooked every time!
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
03-24-2008, 01:30 PM,
I found a un opened bottle of Zema (sp?) I'll trade it for the beer  ;D 

The oddest thing would have to be a thong found while metel detecting by a dock (glade I had the dry suite with dry gloves)  :-X
03-24-2008, 02:23 PM,
I'd have to say the oddest things I've run into are usually my dive buddies!

along with a couple fishing rods, odds and ends lost around a diving raft, canoe paddle, fishing lures.

I still think some of the funnest things I've encountered have got to be the occasional fiesty crayfish though!  I get a kick out of them every time.

Jon
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
03-24-2008, 05:06 PM,
Hmmmm, I wonder if that thong goes with the underwire bra I found at a "Wildlife Observation area....!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!