Remember me
Lost Password Register

update --- Dirty Jobs / Mike Rowe- filming episode w/Tri State Diving
03-26-2008, 07:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-06-2008, 10:01 AM by usediver.)
update --- Dirty Jobs / Mike Rowe- filming episode w/Tri State Diving
FROM THE DIVE SHOP NEWSLETTER THIS WEEK

update  update  update  update  update  update  update  update  update  update

--------------------------------------------------
The dates for the Discovery channel Dirty Jobs is set for-- May 19th at 8PM --and they are excited to see how the show turned out.  Mike and his crew were great to work with and it will be great for everyone to see how vehicles are recovered after they go through the ice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we are almost at the end of March and we still have winter.  There is still over 30 inches of ice on area lakes and at this rate we will be ice fishing on fishing opener.   It seems the last few years we have had a cold spring. 

This last week has been a busy week for the Tri-State Diving salvage crew.  Last Wednesday and Thursday Mike Rowe Dirty Jobs on the Discovery Channel was in Detroit Lakes to do a show on how Tri-State Diving recovers vehicles from under the ice.  He was a real trooper helping with all aspects of the operation.  He had never operated an ice auger before and he also ran the chain saw to cut the hole.  On Wednesday afternoon Mike and his crew went over the procedures for ice diving and on Thursday two of his cameramen shot underwater video of Chris and Mike hooking of the lift bags and cable to the vehicle.  It should air sometime in May and I will send out an email when we hear on the date.  Our normal recovery time on this vehicle would have been about 3 hours but with all the time it took to film the event it took about 8 hours.  I think Mike was pretty beat by the end of the day.  On behalf of Tri-State Diving and Mike Rowe Dirty Jobs I would like to say thank you to the Lodge for hosting and the Fireside for giving Mike Rowe and his crew a private room so he could celebrate his birthday while he stayed in Detroit Lakes this last week.  His staff was impressed with your hospitality. To the Becker County dive team for backing up Tri-State Diving’s salvage dive team and Mike’s crew at the recovery site.  To Tim Gordon and the Becker County Sheriff’s Department, the Ambulance Service, the Conservation Officers, and all other emergency personal for helping during the filming of the vehicle recovery for his TV show, Dirty Jobs.  To Subway for furnishing subs for all personnel and to Denny’s Auto for removing the vehicle off the lake.  To the Tri-State Diving crew for making the event happen so successfully.

On Easter Sunday the crew traveled to Little Pine Lake by Perham to recover a 1 ton Dodge pickup in 55 foot of water.  It went down on Friday with four people in the vehicle and they were all able to get out before it plunged to the bottom. They were headed out to do some fishing and the ice was about 30 plus inches and they went over a spot that the fish had worked under the ice and made it about 2 inches thick.

Sea you on the Bottom

their shop contact info,

tri-statediving.com

28300 Little Floyd Lake Road 
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501 
218-847-4868 
1-888-SCUBA-DO

03-26-2008, 10:56 AM,
Re: Dirty Jobs / Mike Rowe- filming episode w/Tri State Diving
Wow thats really cool. I did not know there was a shop in D.L.. The pink barracuda closed, that was somewhere up there. Where is Tri State Diving?
03-26-2008, 11:23 AM,
Thanks for the info. Sounds like an interesting day. I enjoy watching Mike Rowe and all of the dirty disgusting jobs that he does. I look forward to seeing it. Please keep us posted when it is scheduled to air.
03-27-2008, 09:57 AM,
Sorry to hijack, but i had to ask........

I was at your website...and was curious...did you get any word on the "OH SHIT" factor when all of the owners of the trailers trucks and campers realized that their insurance most probably would NOT be covering their claims?...

This must have been a very interesting job..and weekend
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-27-2008, 02:15 PM,
I once was on a vehicle recovery job in South Dakota on the Missouri River.  We had to drive down the muddy banks of th river for miles, dive down and hook up new Chevy, drag bag to shore.  By then the muddy banks had melted to mud you could barely walk through. Took three tow trucks, the dive team on fourwheelers and the insurance agent! and truck owner approx. 36 hours start to finish.  Yes the agent came along and I assume was planning on covering the truck. Supposedly the owner had claimed low mileage thinking the digital dash would be junk.  As soon as the truck was on shore the agent grabbed one of the oil change slips in the door jam which told the real mileage.  Heated discussion soon followed! I think the cost of recovery exceeded vehicle value on that one.

Sorry to hi-jack.  Can't wait to see that episode. Mike Rowe is great. When I read Tri State Diving I cringed.  I thought you were talking about the commercial diving outfit in Black River Falls, Wisc. They are a Joke! Drunks with hard hats.
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
03-28-2008, 08:53 AM,
I normally do not respond to threads but there have been some good questions asked.  The person that posted it receives Tri-State Diving's email newsletter and notified me after he had posted it on this site.
First, anyone that would like to know when it airs can send me your email address to seal@tri-statediving.com and we will let you know when we know the date.  It was really awesome working with Mike Rowe.
In response to where Tri-State Diving is, we are located in Detroit Lakes MN and we are starting our 21 year in business at our present location.  We were the first full service dive center in the Detroit Lakes area. 
As far as the insurance for all the big rigs we took out of Big Detroit Lakes during the ice race most had insurance coverage.  As you can see by our website we have recovered quite a variety of items.
I am disappointed when I see someone make negative comments about someone or something on these sites as it usually discredits all the good comments on a site. Our organization prides itself on always being positive about the diving industry and the staff shows that whenever they are at a job site or someone comes into the dive center.  As far as our commercial and salvage goes, we are not affiliated with the outfit in Black River Falls WI..  We pride ourselves in being professional on all the jobs we work on and this shows by the way insurance companies hire us to do their salvage work and companies hire us to do their commercial work.  We have done work for the MN Highway Department, MN DNR and the state of North Dakota, construction companies, insurance companies, other commercial diving companies, and electric power companies.
05-06-2008, 10:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2008, 11:58 PM by usediver.)
monday night show update --- Dirty Jobs / Mike Rowe- episode w/Tri State Diving
FROM THE DIVE SHOP NEWSLETTER THIS WEEK

update  update  update  update  update  update  update  update  update  update

--------------------------------------------------
The dates for the Discovery channel Dirty Jobs is set for-- May 19th at 8PM --and they are excited to see how the show turned out.  Mike and his crew were great to work with and it will be great for everyone to see how vehicles are recovered after they go through the ice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
05-21-2008, 08:42 AM,
Re: update --- Dirty Jobs / Mike Rowe- filming episode w/Tri State Diving
Finally got to watching this last night after recording it on Monday.  Very cool.  It was great to see exactly how those vehicles get removed.  Last week the episode was about turkey farming in Kensington, MN.  I would definitely take commercial diving over turkey insemination as my "Dirty Job" any day of the week.  Congrats on your show!
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM,
Thank you for the nice comment.  Thankfully it went off without any hitches.  It was rather nerve racking as we normally have only one diver down on the dive at any time on this type of salvage operation.  Here we had two of their camera man, operating out of one hole and Mike Rowe and one of our divers operating out of recovery hole.  With one line attached to the vehicle and each diver having a line I was concerned that we would have divers tangled up.  Everything went well considering that none of their crew had any experience in closed environment diving.  We spent the afternoon on the day before the dive going over procedures and laid out the whole dive plan.  Even at that I think Mike was very nervous about the dive.  By his previous shows we knew that he is an "air hog" so we made sure that he did not spend too much time on the bottom.  He came up with plenty of air and had a great appreciation for cold water diving.  I think that this has been the most stressful job we have done in our commercial and salvage work.  I was glad when it was over.  The crew at Tri-State Diving did an excellent job of making everything go so smooth as well as the Becker County Dive Team that backed up our crew.  Would be interested to hear any other comments on the show.
05-28-2008, 02:10 PM,
I managed to catch the show too.  Enjoyed your section.  I did think they could have done a better job showing  the rigging of the bag instead of touring the inside of the vehicle though.  (and you really should rig up a better winch instead of the come-along...  ;D )
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!