Remember me
Lost Password Register

Nitrox Requirement
04-01-2008, 12:36 AM,
Nitrox Requirement
First of all grumpy - I know I should be asleep

Proposition:  All new scuba divers should be trained in and certified in the use of Nitrox.

Response: ???
04-01-2008, 04:38 AM,
Re: Nitrox Requirement
I'm not Grumpy but I feel grumpy after being trapped at the MSP airport for 12 hours and counting.

I think the #1 problem with putting new divers on nitrox is that they don't understand the depth limitations.  I was on a boat last week where a relatively new diver had no clue she needed a depth gauge or computer.  The dive master went chasing after her when she decided to explore the deep blue. 

I was also diving with a buddy that had just completed his nitrox class two weeks ago.  He couldn't figure out why his computer was beeping at him when he decided to go to 125ft on nitrox-32.   

--Jason
04-01-2008, 07:48 AM,
Problem #1 - As in she was diving without a depth gauge and computer or didn't pay attention to the ones she had? Why did she not know she needed a depth gauge or computer....possibly a training issue???

Problem #2 - Is it possible that he failed to completely read and understand the manual and instructions for the use of his computer???

I am not saying those are not problems (serious problems), but the question is what is the reason behind them? Quality training is the first step. The second step would be making sure anyone an instructor trains fully understands the material and the risks / limitations involved.

I haven't fully decided on the answer to Lee's question yet. I do know that with new divers you have some that do well and some not so well. Some that strictly follow the rules they learned in SCUBA class and some that don't follow them (or remember them). I think that Nitrox training in a basic SCUBA class would likely yield the same results.
04-01-2008, 09:24 AM,
I think the problem is that Nitrox is not a necessary piece of equipment for a dive. It is simply an option divers can choose to pursue on their own if they feel a need to deviate from the "standard." It would be like saying that all new divers would need to learn how to use a DPV or the proper use of a drysuit or basic techniques of cave diving. It simply isn't needed for recreational diving and the vast majority of new divers are exactly that; recreational.
Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM,
40% and less is exactly that...recreational...

I personally feel the direction of diving is definitely headding in that direction.  I think its a good idea..but i think the agencies would have to do some modifications to their over all plan outlines....because technically your first certification is to 60ft why not throw the use of nitrox in there...it would only be adding a safety factor to the dive....in basic terms..let them know that rather that not being able to exceed the 130 recreational limits, they cannot exceed 80ft because of the standard mix in their tank...

i think that rebreathers are so much on the rise that they will in time..be the preferred means of diving...becasue they are based on nitrox at a minimum" scr" and O2 and perfect ppo2 for "ccr"  why not have ocr head in that direction now...

Oops Did I really say that?????
04-01-2008, 10:31 AM,
Will they have the skills to stay about 80? Missing it and getting a CNS hit is more risk then getting narc'd at 100.

CNS, O2 Tox, EAD math ... May also distract them from the fundamentals we hold so true. Like, Residual Nitrogen. Now they have to also track O2.

It's expensive and the cost of entry in Scuba is already holding many back. I can't pay $10 for EAN for an afternoon at Perch Lake.

This assumes that they would be instructed to dive EAN all the time and that Air is just too risky.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-01-2008, 10:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2008, 10:38 AM by Shooter.)

I don't think anything should be mandatory.  I used my initial training as an excellent foundation for my diving career.  However, I constantly violate the buddy rule.  I don't rely on a buddy. I regularly exceed the maximum depth recommendations for recreational SCUBA. I have dove with people who are fine at 125 feet and freak out at 131. Not because of Narcosis.

I sucked on the written portion of the test and excelled on the actual diving. I would much rather dive with somebody who has good buoyancy skills and a strong dose of common sense rather than somebody who has all the book answers and can do all the complicated formula's.

I would strongly recommend nitrox for divers who have already logged 30 to 50 dives, and want to dive more than two to three times a day.

04-01-2008, 11:21 AM,
Pretty interesting input so far.  Just to keep things going - We (and I think everyone) teach several things in the basic class that a diver doesn't really "need" to just get started.  We teach about ocean critters and boat diving procedures for example and there are divers who will never need or use this information.  Wouldn't adding the safety of nitrox be a better priority for that time?
04-01-2008, 12:18 PM,
All the divers I know dive nitrox all the time, but its called normoxie or air. Nitrox was used as a working gas for more bottom time for noaa divers and people that need to get as much bang for the buck as possible. Most diver run arround with nitrox stickers on their tanks should really have MOD stickers on them to be legal, even if they filled with air. Its really great for old people like me as a safety gas, when I do live a boards I dive nitrox every dive but the deep ones, which I do on air.
to quote deano my 2 cents worth......grumpie
04-01-2008, 01:04 PM,
EAN Nitrox Specialty Course is one of those classes that I recommend to all my divers.  If I'm on a dive trip and it's available I use it all the time.  I strongly encourage our customers to take the course.  I would love to go back to teaching EAN Nitrox along side our Open Water Class, but, we would have to increase the tuition of the Open Water Diver Course.  We do teach the Computer Specialty course along with our Open Water Diver Course to give new divers the basic understanding and a heads up on using the dive computers.  We also use the dive computers in our Open Water Class so not only are they getting the head knowledge in the classroom, but they are getting the practicle knowledge in the water.  When we go to log the dives we always have them access the log book function in the dive computer to find the info.  Comfort thru repetition!
If your really going to gain more bottom time and shorter service intervals your really going to need an EAN Nitrox Dive Computer. That I think is just as important as the class and you are going to have to know how to use it.  Sorry I'm getting long winded here.
I like grumpie's comment that "all the divers he knows uses Nitrox all the time because of course Nitrox is air verses EAN Nitrox which of course you all know is "Enriched Air Nitrox".  I hope all of you have a really great week now that the snow has stopped and good diving to all!