Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Flag Laws
03-31-2008, 08:44 PM,
Re: Dive Flag Laws
Very good! Now the only question that remains is who blew my cover. I have a short list of suspects.
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM,
AAHHHHHHH
An investigation!!!...right up your alley

lol
Oops Did I really say that?????
04-01-2008, 12:33 AM,
Not me, but I've got a notion - wink-wink -nudge - nudge
04-01-2008, 06:13 AM,
I do know an instructor that was issued a ticket for not having a dive flag while ice diving. Lake Minnetonka!
04-01-2008, 07:28 AM,

I don't doubt that. As I said earlier, it would be nice if common sense would apply. Unfortunately "common sense" can vary.
04-01-2008, 07:30 AM,

As do I. The investigation continues. Depositions, supeonas and search warrants to follow.
04-01-2008, 08:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2008, 08:15 AM by arcFlash.)
A lawyer friend of mine once told me at the end of an argument about dumb laws that,"It's not about right and wrong, It's about what you can and can not do!"

It took me a bit to accept it but things are clearer now. Like, you can not dive without a flag. Ice has nothing to do with it.

or...
If I find an old car in a lake, I can't take anything, it's stealing. It has nothing to do with location, it's illegally parked, that's it.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-01-2008, 08:40 AM,

How true! Adding yet another interpretation or two, or three, or four.....(depending on the number of lawyers) to the law.

Now with that logic in place, we have raised our flag for our ice dive and we have a diver in the water. He enjoys a nice leisurely dive with great visibilty and treasures galore. As he returns to the hole, he finds that he will be asked for his autograph on a citation from Officer Friendly (sorry Deano - nothing unusual on the Cheerios this morning). Why you ask????? Because he was more than 50' from his dive flag.

The good news is that with only 50' ice dive ropes it will be considerably cheaper.
04-01-2008, 10:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM by arcFlash.)
(g) A diver's flag may be anchored or secured to the bottom when a safety hazard would
result from towing the flag.
(h) If at the discretion of the diver it would be safer and more visible, the flag may be
displayed on a watercraft. If the flag is displayed on the watercraft, the craft must be at anchor or,
if not at anchor, attended by a diver or a person appointed by the diver to tend the craft. Only
watercraft displaying an official diver's flag are authorized in the diving area.

If the flag presents a hazard to the diver or his navigation, they do not have to carry it with him but it needs to be present during entry and exit. Like a cave dive or Ice. G and H release me from A "the towing rule"

Ice is my Water Craft as my car is floating on it. That which floats is a watercraft. I was under my boat the whole time.

These rules only say water so my pool work requires a flag.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-01-2008, 11:19 AM,
I like the creative thinking.....but we are still stuck with 50' from the flag. Your solution???

Not having a flag in the pool would certainly create some problems in the event of an accident or injury in the pool. The resulting investigation may find the lack of a dive flag as a contributing factor to the accident.