Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Flag Laws
04-01-2008, 12:17 PM,
Re: Dive Flag Laws

Archflash, was your "ice" ie Watercraft properly registered "watercraft" ? Without the registration numbers on the bow you may get an additional citation :o

04-01-2008, 12:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
Maybe we should just stick to the girls concept of  SIZE DOES MATTER.....  that is to say..,,,  maybe the bigger the flag, the more divers we could have under it. 

The law is there to help, not hurt.  BUT.......  BUT....  But maybe it would help if the dive shop owners could agree first on what is a good approach and LOBBY for  it  with the legislators and help clarify the law so that it is very clear.  IT SEEMS TO ME... if a DIVE FLAG IS POSTED,...  it should indicate DIVERS  BELOW    PERIOD.  It should cover all regardless of how many divers are under. 

I know, I always post my big 3 X 5 divers flag on my windshield, and also have the float  DIVERS BELOW FLAG over where I am diving.   

IT SHOULD BE AMPLE IDENTIFICATION TO ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY PERIOD.  IF THEY CAN'T FIGURE OUT THAT THERE ARE DIVERS IN THE AREA,    HOW SAD IS THAT.   

THANKS TO bureaucracy  or should I say  BUREAU CRAZY....

maxfactor
04-01-2008, 01:11 PM,
One dive site that is rather irritating at times for the lack of divers using dive flags is the Maderia.  I can understand not wanting to pull a flag around while you are on the wreck, but when divers are moving back and forth to shore whether on the surface or underwater they really should have flags. There are boats there on a regular basis and if they are moving around picking up divers or dropping them off there are a lot of times where you can't tell where the divers are due to no flags.  It's not just the divers either I look at the Local Dive Stores that are there not using dive flags that are really setting a pore example for everyones divers by not using flags to and from the wreck.
This is probably one of those dive sites that no one wants to talk about using flags and this will probably generate unique responses but I thought It would be worth discussing.
04-01-2008, 01:53 PM,

Archflash, was your "ice" ie Watercraft properly registered "watercraft" ? Without the registration numbers on the bow you may get an additional citation :o

[/quote]

I was focusing on the dive flag issue, but you have opened a whole new can of worms. If you consider the "watercraft" registration, we also have to consider the proper number and type of PFD's, having them "readily accessible", required fire extinguishers, the watercraft registration card. This could get expensive.
04-01-2008, 02:07 PM,

I would agree that a dive flag should be adequate for a group of divers, provided they are diving as a group. After all, how many times have you seen an instructor with a group of stundents just connect a bunch of flags into a cluster to meet the statute requirement of 4 divers per flag. Technically and legally correct, but does it accomplish more than if using only a single flag for the group?

Max, I am certain the law enforcement agencies are able to identify a dive flag and recognize that there are divers below. Based on my experience, the bigger problem is recreational boaters. It is suprising how many boaters are unfamiliar with the flag, let alone what it means and their requirements to stay 150' away from it. It is not unheard of to have boaters pull right up to a flag to investigate this strange flag and to see what it is or what is is marking.

04-01-2008, 02:12 PM,

Certainly dive shop, divemasters and instructors should lead by example. Particularly with new divers, we can't set the example by saying "Do as I say, not as I do."
04-01-2008, 02:19 PM,
Perhaps a solution to the Madiera problem would be to have a "Daisy Chain" of flags from the entrance point to the wreck.  One flag every 99 feet apart so you are never more than the "50 Feet" from your flag!!

In regard to diving through ice....There are no boats to drive through the 100ft of line...but look out for the ice fishermen and their big treble hooks!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
04-01-2008, 03:27 PM,
You got me on that one but then I'll counter suit that the squad car didn't have registrations and came within 150 feet from my flag and I want him ticketed.

[/quote]
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-01-2008, 03:42 PM,
This is messy. I'll draw on the Supreme Court speak and use the word "Intent". Ice doesn't matter but marking your dive site does. You can't bring it with you so the intent of the law is that a prudent man would mark the site and everyone stay back 150 feet, which is normal.

I can't see anyone ticketing you for being 50 feet from the hole. Is that a real risk?

If I put up a shelter around the hole that shelter also has to have an ICE HOUSE license. It's all a mess.
They have to break the 150 foot rule and bring a warrent to give me a ticket cuz I swam 51 feet. My spider sense says they can, but they aren't going too.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-01-2008, 05:11 PM,
Indeed messy, but certainly was entertaining.