Remember me
Lost Password Register

Duluth dive Apr-11
04-03-2008, 12:34 PM,
Duluth dive Apr-11
scubajunkie and I will be driving up to Duluth for some OW diving Friday 11th. We have fundamentally agreed on the day. We can't wait for ice out.

Time and site will be worked out on this thread.

As usual, All divers welcome.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-03-2008, 08:02 PM,
Re: Duluth dive Apr-11
The old pier behind Fitgers looks interesting from the pictures, but I'm open for anything.  Do we want to stick around Duluth or venture further north?
04-04-2008, 08:46 AM,
My experience in the big lake is limited. I'll go anyplace provided the extra drive time is worth it.

Maybe some of our Duluth members can give use advice. I have not dove Duluth.

04-04-2008, 04:24 PM,

Here's a good website for Lake Superior.  It gives a lot of info for every dive site.  Several options right around Duluth.
04-04-2008, 08:02 PM,
Well, the local shore diving around Duluth isn't ALL that exciting, but it's diving.  The cribs below Fitger's is worth the walk.  Park in the ground level ramp, right after you get in the ramp, and follow the walk down to the shore. 

Brighton Beach is interesting if you like rock and lava formations.  About a block and a half into the park, you'll see a pullover area, to parallel park on the RH side.  Easy shore dive, and you can make it to 60 feet at that location.  I've only been there a few times.  Another spot we  usually dive from is the north parking lot by the picnic gazebo at Brighton Beach, granted the lot's not full of snow, which I think may be gone by now.

The Two Harbors Breakwall is a good dive, also.  You can gear up in the parking lot, and it's an easy, flat walk out as far as you want, dive on the lake side of the wall, anywhere from 50 to 70 feet, right off the far end of the wall.

It's nice to have the Big Lake here.  Much depends on her mood, remind you!  Have fun!
04-05-2008, 07:55 AM,
I would think Two Harbors then work back. That way we start deep if it's 60'.

Google is giving me 3 hours to Two Harbor.
04-05-2008, 02:40 PM,
We are leaving at 5:30am with the first dive expected to be Two harbors unless the sea is bad, then all bets are off.
04-09-2008, 12:30 PM,
Weather forecast is bad for Friday. We are moving up the time to midnight at two harbors, bring your lights.

Just kidding. We are most likely going to postpone unless Wazee is open enough as an alternate. wiscuba.com is saying more time is needed to be safe.

04-09-2008, 12:58 PM,
Is it the 32 degrees and snowing or 45 mph winds? 

04-09-2008, 01:22 PM,
Hey Gang-
We are going under a bizzard warning here in duluth starting late tomorrow ( thursday)  we are expected to get upward of 12" of snow..
we are supposed to get the snow with very heavy winds  upwards of 40mph....

please keep us posted when you decide to make it back up here and well try to get you to the Madiera...

deano
Oops Did I really say that?????