Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cancun
01-16-2003, 08:46 PM,
Cancun
I'm going to Cancun for a week at the end of Feburary. We will be staying at a place near the beach. Has any of you been there? Any Tips?
GO DIVING!
01-16-2003, 10:41 PM,
Re:Cancun
Well, I never went to Cancun, but I was a little south in Playa Del Carmen.
First piece of advise, avoid Dressel Divers. Secondly avoid Aqua World. No matter what they promise you before you get there, steer clear of them. And what ever you do, a ceynote dive should be a requirement. Also there are some very nice ruins that are a good way to spend your last day before you leave. Hope you have fun, and remember, ceynote, ceynote ceynote.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
01-17-2003, 11:42 AM,
Hi Submerged!
I've been to Cancun 3 times, Cozumel once - what do you want to know? My advice, stay clear of Cancun (for many reasons). Had a great time in Cozumel - did 5 dives there.
Sue
01-17-2003, 01:40 PM,
I've been to Cancun about 5 times. Its a great place to party. I like going to Cancun with a big group of people. The size of the place has exploded in the past 15 years.

I second tbrown's advice. I made the Aqua World -- Cancun mistake once. I actually stayed at Iberostar at PDC where Dressel is based this past year. I could see the dive shop from my room. The DMs seemed friendly enough. Their prices were ridiculous. They were twice as expensive as any other shop. Although they sure were convenient for the resort guests. I didn't dive with them though.

I don't think you will find real interesting dive locations around cancun. You can, however, dive the cenotes -- which I consider some of the best diving down there. Take a day trip down to Cozumel for a couple dives if you have the time.

You may want to check out the Mexico forum on the scubaboard.com website for information about dive operators and locations. You can get very current information from that site.
--Jason
01-17-2003, 02:38 PM,
I am going down there towards the end of February for a conference. After doing a bit of checking I think I will be going out with Solo Buceo. After closing up on three years of cold water diving this will be my first warm water stuff. So, while it may not the greatest, it will be different. I am planning on going out with some op every day either in the afternoon or at night, or both. While I am sure the cultural attractions are nice, diving really is about the only thing worth doing as far as I am concerned.

JoelW
01-17-2003, 08:20 PM,
Go to Cozumel! Suggestion for day trip:
Catch a PM bus from Cancun to Playa del Carmen - about $15 and 45 min ride. (or a taxi, about $45) Then catch the ferry to Cozumel. About $17 for round trip ticket, 1/2 hour ferry ride. From ferry landing in Coz, walk or take taxi (about $2-3) to Aqua Safari, right in downtown on the main street. Sign up for next AM dive. Get a room there over night. They have a VERY basic hotel right above the dive shop - $45/night.
Their dock is right across the street from their shop. You can dive there at 8:30am any day. 2 dives for $55, and a PM dive for only $9 more if you did the AM dives. After dive, you can hang/dry/store gear in their shop.
Catch late PM ferry back to Playa (you already have the ticket). In Playa, catch a shuttle bus from one of the hotels back to Cancun.
Coz drift diving is fabulous.
Dan L
01-20-2003, 09:24 PM,
I thank all of you for the info. This will be my first salt water dive and my first warm water dive. I'm really looking forward to this vacation.
I checked out the some info on Cenote diving. I will definately have to do that. I will also check out Coz. for some diving.
Thanks for the heads up on which dive shops to avoid.

GO DIVING!
01-20-2003, 09:24 PM,
I thank all of you for the info. This will be my first salt water dive and my first warm water dive. I'm really looking forward to this vacation.
I checked out the some info on Cenote diving. I will definately have to do that. I will also check out Coz. for some diving.
Thanks for the heads up on which dive shops to avoid.

GO DIVING!
02-11-2003, 09:26 PM,
Happy days are here again.. just booked tickets to 'cun. We'll be near Playa del Carmen the end of the month. GREAT!! GREAT!!

Air only. We're still ..arrr.. discussing about the tent or not. :-\

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
02-12-2003, 12:50 AM,
Congrats Fred. I really enjoyed the Playa del Carmen area last year. I dove with Sealife divers in PDC a couple days. Don't skip the cenotes.
--Jason