Remember me
Lost Password Register

Hawaii - Big Island, Waikoloa Coast
01-12-2003, 05:56 PM,
Hawaii - Big Island, Waikoloa Coast
Had the fortune to get to the Big Island with my family just before Xmas. Sunny and 85F every day! Managed to get on a couple of morning 2-tank dives with Red Sail Sports along the Waikoloa coast on the Northwest side of the island near Kona... had a GREAT time! Navigated through lots of branch and horn coral covered lava tubes, saw green sea turtles, found a ghost shrimp in a cave, played with a couple of octopus, held a Crown of Thorns Star (careful - poisonous), a large Brittle Star, cowries, horned helmuts, augers and enjoyed the wide array of HI coral fish - wrasse, butterflyfish, etc. I understand there's a "can't miss" night dive with the Manta Rays off Kona but our schedule was too tight to accommodate. If going to Hawaii, a week is not long enough!
- Dan
01-12-2003, 06:46 PM,
Re:Hawaii - Big Island, Waikoloa Coast
Sounds like a great trip. Welcome to the board!
--Jason
02-27-2003, 07:09 PM,
My wife just told me she wants to go to Hawaii for 2 weekes in Nov 04,

The wheels have started spining in my head!

How many days did you dive out of your week?
03-02-2003, 10:20 AM,
Hi, igotoofar. Unfortunately I didn't get to dive as much as I would have liked... family vacation with other activities planned (got to go to the volcanoes!). Additionally, we spent a couple of days in Oahu before spending 5 days on the Big Island... Between family plans, recovery from the initial trip over, and flights on day 3 and 7, my dive opportunities were limited. Next time we go to Hawaii we plan to spend a minimum 10 days and preferably 2 weeks.

Anyway, on our trip I went on two morning dive trips, each 2-tank dives. One dive I've read about and heard about which is supposed to be truly special is the "Manta Night Dive" in the evenings just off of Kona. They have a number of lamps set up in a bay to attract the microscopic animals the Manta Rays feed on... The Mantas oblige by showing up in droves to feed, putting on a show. Here's a link with more info:

Good luck with the trip planning! If I get the chance, we'll head back to the Big Island ASAP! 8)
- Dan