Remember me
Lost Password Register

Airlines that charge for a second bag
01-20-2011, 03:20 AM,
Re: Airlines that charge for a second bag
I think you may have too much dive gear  Wink

In actuality last year Matt and I went on a cruise and brought full dive gear for two (which fit in one bag and weighed 49 lbs) plus each had a carry on (one had camera gear and the other was regs and computers) and one additional checked bag of clothes. The way home we ended up checking an additional bag based of the fee with the added weight of the not so dry wetsuits and gift items.
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.
01-20-2011, 09:48 AM,
Just got back last week from Playa del Carmen, MX. I had my BCD, Reg Set, 3mm Wetsuit, Mask, Snorkel, Fins and a small plastic box of spare stuff in my 29" roller Suitcase and it all came under 50Lbs. Put my cloths in a second duffel bag that I use when I get there to transport my dive gear. I did not tell anyone what what in either case and only had to pay for two cases and no over weight problems.

Total cost on Sun Country was about $60 each way.
I'm a Mog, Half man half dog - I'm my own best friend.<br />Alcohol doesn't make you fat... it makes you Lean... on tables, chairs &amp; random people.
01-20-2011, 11:24 AM,
You may need to consider getting new luggage.  That's what I did for my red sea trip last year and it paid for itself due to reduced fees. 

You need to maximize your weight for check-in luggage.  That means packing as close to 50lbs as possible.  Pack your 35lb bag up to 49lb.  Then get a new 2nd bag that isn't oversized and pack it up to 49lb.  Any remaining gear goes into a small roller carry on and a laptop-type personal item bag. 

You can buy a camera vest with lots of pockets and zippers to stuff gear into.  The airline won't ask you to step on a scale.  If you can wear it you can bring it. 

--Jason
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM,
I think you guys are right -- time to reduce weight and reconfigure the system that worked fine for 15 years under the old rules.

The 35lb photo gear case is the perfect size for what it now contains (housing, 2 strobes, 2 ports, tools) and can't hold any more, so Jason's advice of new luggage is appropriate.

I'd still be interested to hear if anyone has shipped gear, successfully or otherwise.

Thanks again for the tips!
01-21-2011, 12:04 PM,
Wink

This is the bag we traveled with: 

I was 1 surprised to be able to fit all the gear in here, much less two people's gear (small woman, xl man- the men's fins were a squeeze but worked). 2 was really glad with the way it held up for the two flights and cruise handling! Nothing broken not even a zipper- it's a tough bag.

You could probably pack all your clothes and scuba gear in this one bag (I forgot to mention we took the large mesh bag and stuffed it in for when we got to our destination).  Just have to keep the weight in check.
The only thing I take seriously when it comes to diving is safety.