Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit/BC for bouyancy compensation
04-28-2008, 10:57 AM,
Drysuit/BC for bouyancy compensation
I know this was in a post somewhere, but can't find it.  We all know that PADI says to use the drysuit to compensate for buoyancy and leave the BC alone.  However, I have would have to inflate myself the size of the Michelin man to stay that way, especially deeper that 60ft.  Its OK if I'm in 20ft or less.

Let's hear what the more experienced dry suit divers have to say.  What do you use to compensate for buoyancy?  Not just eliminating squeeze.
04-28-2008, 11:25 AM,
Re: Drysuit/BC for bouyancy compensation
If thats the case you are probably overweighted.
I am a heavy guy and use 22# when I have my thickest undergarment on. I also use a steel 95 which offsets another 3-5 #
I was trained to use the suit, however some agencies have changed that. I still use the suit because it is one less thing (B.C.) to have to vent in case of an uncontrolled ascent.
04-28-2008, 11:36 AM,
I don't believe I'm overweighted.  Did weight check with 500 psi and spot on.  I use around the same as you.  26# with Tri-lame suit and thick undergarment.  Thanks for the response. 
04-28-2008, 12:26 PM,
I recommend using both your BC/wing and suit.  Just put enough gas in your suit to take off the squeeze.  You can maintain your body position in the water easier if the BC is being used for buoyancy control because the gas is all on your back versus rolling around your torso, arms and legs.  In the case of an uncontrolled ascent you will generally be able to vent from your BC faster than your suit. 
--Jason
04-28-2008, 04:02 PM,
It didn't dawn on me until last summer that using the drysuit for bouyancy control uses the same amount of air as my BCD would.  In my little world it always seemed like I'd have to use tons more air if I used my drysuit. 

I always use my drysuit.  It's nice to get rid of the squeeze.  If I wanted to use both...it'd be pretty tricky finding the right amount of air for either device.

04-28-2008, 04:06 PM,

I would add to the above, that the BC allows you to vent when you are horizontal or nose down, rather than going to a near vertical with the dry suit.

04-28-2008, 05:53 PM,
Dan G's point may change my mind a bit. I only use the suit under and only use the wing on the surface. I guess that's just how I figured it all out. I leave the dump open and just stay horizontal. If I get too light I can dump from the wing and the arm very fast or twist and dump the suit.

I've been asking around on this and I think the big difference is steel tanks. They make you so negative that you get a bubble in your suit . I mostly dive AL80 and my weight is so close that I don't need more then a few squirts in the suit so there is nothing to put in the wing.  I've been overweight by 2 or 3 pounds and that forces me to use the wing or suffer with a bubble in my suit.  If I used Steel, I'd have to use the wing as primary control.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
04-28-2008, 06:17 PM,
One other thing to keep in mind is the more air you add at depth in the suit for bouancy, is more WARM air you DUMP on your way to your safty stops.  Not such a big deal when surface temps are up but, aweek ago in Milwaukee 37deg top to bottem I didn't get cold until I was venting on the way up.  Made for some chilly stops.

Tim
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM,
I always use the BCD for buoyancy, not the dry suit.  My feeling is that the dry suit is designed to keep one warm, while the BCD is designed to provide the support and lift for the tank or tanks.  I usually dive with just enough gas in my suit to make sure I don’t get bruises, for I hate floaty feet.  The exception is when I’ve got deco obligation, then to stay warmer I may pump a bunch of extra gas in the suit while hanging out at 20 feet breathing pure O2. -  Kirk