Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: What are you doing differently to reduce your spending on gas?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Rideshare with coworkers/ Fellow Divers.
13.33%
2 13.33%
Buy a better fuel economy vehicle.
13.33%
2 13.33%
Take public transportation.
6.67%
1 6.67%
Ride Motorcycle/Scooter
13.33%
2 13.33%
Use E-85 or other fuel option.
6.67%
1 6.67%
Any other Ideas??
13.33%
2 13.33%
Keep on paying and driving as before.
33.33%
5 33.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How do you deal with the cost of gas?
05-14-2008, 08:14 PM,
How do you deal with the cost of gas?
Well folks, it's looking like the cost of gas isn't going to stop going up any time....Sure hope we don't see the $5 for the summer holidays.  What are you doing to deal with it?  Anybody know how to make the increase stop?  Share your ideas! 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-14-2008, 08:19 PM,
Re: How do you deal with the cost of gas?
Well... I have a couple horses I want to sell, maybe now is the time! Trouble is that they are mini's (kinda like moving lawn ornaments)
05-15-2008, 03:54 AM,
just the other day I figured out that for the 2yrs that I've had the Fit, since I traded the gas guzzling explorer.. 45,000 miles at say an average price of only $2.60 a gal, with the mileage difference, I've saved over $5000.00 in fuel costs.  And so as the average price goes up, I save even more... so I'm in a situation where I want the fuel prices to go up  Big Grin

Hey, the Fits for sale this fall... I'm going to buy an '09 Fit when they come out.
(the Tahoe is for sale this fall too... I think it gets like 30 miles to the gallon..maybe more.. seriously..  Wink )
with the prices of SUVs I think we'll be giving that one away  Sad

Seriously though,, we need alternative fuel.. Hydrogen maybe.. maybe nuclear.. or we need to build our own refineries and extract our own crude from alaska, the gulf, and the pockets around the states that have oil.. like western north dakota.
Cold and dark down there huh?
05-15-2008, 05:45 AM,
I dont want to sound like a capitalist, but dont you think that the US is just waiting until the oil is gone in the mid east so that when the prices are $500 per barrel then we can tap into our own oil fields and charge what we want to the camel jockeys? The US is not to be pitty'd because we are controlling the prices of oil by not drilling in Alaska right now. It sucks... but it is the best plan going of any country on this small (wet) planet. Wind power needs to be the first choice in "free energy". Hydrogen needs to be the second and Nuclear third. Oil will be the pacifier that will have to hold us over until we get off our bums and get those three power sources in place. The infrastructure for those three dont put themselves in place automatically and we need to start now. Thats my opinion...
05-15-2008, 08:28 AM,
You are right in some sense.  The US is sitting on significant energy reserves.  We have huge coal and natural gas deposits.  A capitalist wouldn't wait for the oil reserves in other countries to run out before tapping into US oil.  A capitalist would want to exploit the market today while consumers can still afford to pay for the product. 

--Jason
05-16-2008, 07:21 PM,
Bicycle conspicuously missing from alternatives.  I've been riding from 10 to 20 miles every day, including grocery shopping, which ends up weighing about 40 lbs.  When you actually have to carry the stuff, you cut down on the amount you buy.  Less (no) gas, more exercise, less eating.  There is one inch less of Senor Pauncho hanging around my gut in three weeks. 
05-16-2008, 07:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2008, 07:45 PM by DiverQueen.)
Great work on giving Senor Pauncho the slip.....

I tried but can't add to the poll options now, maybe the moderators can adjust for us??
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-16-2008, 08:38 PM,
"kinda like moving lawn ornaments" -LOL, Big LOL

I drive off.

Kidding, I drive what I have too, minivan, and it's not about cost for me. I live close to work and I see about 21 avg. (27 - 19) I don't have a plan for high cost but I know when I pump my first $100 tank, I'm going to push it home.

E-85 is a joke. it's 50 cent cheaper but the math means I save $9 on the first fill but as I have to fill more so it cost $21 more for each tank full as it goes less far. I can burn it but it's out of the money. It needs to be 30% cheaper or $1.10 less then reg.

I can order a small .39 cc engine and bolt it on to my bike.
My neighbor did it for fun and it works well in fair weather. It's 30mph, wide open, but the breaking at that speed scary!

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
05-16-2008, 09:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2008, 09:04 PM by DetectorGuy.)
I am lucky enough to drive a company truck with a fuel card. I filled it today at $3.75 per gallon and it cost the company $107.35. I am not super old but I can remember putting $20 in the tank of my high school hotrod and I could drive all week. My wife drives a 3/4 ton Duramax Diesel and we use it to pull the boat, a 4 horse trailer, snowmobiles, sand rail trail buggy, and Skid steer. If it weren't for the toys, I would probably have her piloting something smaller. No matter what gas prices go up to... life goes on. We will all get by some how, some way, We can't quit having fun. One of my favorite sayings is "You cant put a price on a good time". Dive on people.