Remember me
Lost Password Register

Appomattox?
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM,
Appomattox?
Has anyone here dove the Appomattox in Lake Michigan? I am planning to dive it with a Milwaukee friend in a few weeks as an easy shore dive. Any experiences or tips are appreciated. I know it's a 150 yd swim and about 100 stairs to the beach from the parking area. Ugh. But at 20 feet, we should be rewarded with a good long bottom time.

Cheers.
05-20-2008, 12:33 PM,
Re: Appomattox?
You should go ahead and dive it.  The surface swim is not the problem....the stairs are...you will see when you take a look at them from the park.  Its a fun wreck to visit if you cant get out to the big stuff..and everyone should at least dive it once.  Vis can really mess with you...if the sand has been stirred up..vis can be almost zero..or it can be 20 ft...The wreck should be marked now..i am sure that Jerry has but the mooring ball on it by now...( i think Jerry is doing it..it could be someone else now)..so get down to the beach and look for the white jugs..if you dont see them..follow the old pier on the North side out....you'll find it...

Have fun
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
05-20-2008, 02:27 PM,
Great - thanks for the info. Is the surface swim on par with the swim to the Madeira? Shallow depth is a great chance to mess around with photography, etc. I'm also trying out a new 7mm wetsuit.

Thanks again.
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM,
i would say a little less......i have only dove it from my boat..but keep in mind...its a shallow shore entry..so it wont be too bad..just take it easy headding back up the hill.
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????