Remember me
Lost Password Register

Sad News
05-21-2008, 11:58 AM,
Sad News
Dear Fellow Divers;

It is with a very heavy heart that I bring to you the news of the passing of fellow diver and friend Captain Bill Prince of the Nordic Diver of Milwaukee, WI. 

Bill passed yesterday  May 20, 2008 while diving in Wazee Lake in Black River Falls.

The facts of the accident have not yet surfaced for the general public so it would be best that no assumptions be made about the nature and cause of the accident. 

Bill was diving with close friends at the time..people that are active on these scuba boards.  It is no doubt that his loss has greatly affected them.  As such, please allow time for their healing prior to actively posting opinions regarding this terrible accident. 

Many people knew Bill as he was a staple in the Midwest Great Lakes diving industry.  There will be not only a great loss in regards to the man, Bill Prince but also a great loss in our diving community as a whole with his passing. 

It is with great sadness that I pass this news to you.

My deepest condolences go out to his family and closest friends.

I am so sorry for your loss.  He was a great man and will be dearly missed.

Most Sincerely

Cpt. Dean Moore
Oops Did I really say that?????
05-21-2008, 02:04 PM,
Re: Sad News
On behalf of the mnscuba.com and wiscuba.com diving communities let me express our sincere condolences to Bill's family and friends.  He was a positive contributor to our community and a willing educator.

More information about funeral arrangements available at:

--Jason
05-21-2008, 04:18 PM,
Though i hadn't known Bill that long he always made you feel like a life long friend.  Always made you feel like part of the group.  Our dive comunity has been robbed of a great man.

I will always cherish the short time I knew you Bill, and will be praying for your family and friends.

Tim Pranke
06-02-2008, 06:51 PM,
So what happened?  Who was this guy? Somebody tell us about him so we can all know him.
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist
06-02-2008, 07:58 PM,
Corn-
Take a look at his site.. nordicdiver.com ...Bill was a huge part of great lakes technical shipwreck diving and exploration.  I think it is fari to say that just about everyone that is actively diving deep wrecks in Lake Superior, Michigan and Huron know of him.  He first started diving deep wrecks with Helium 20 years ago.  He spent his time diving ocean wrecks such as the Andria Doria, but found his favorite wrecks right here in the Lakes.  He was a USCG Master captain that ran his charter Nordic Diver out of Milwaukee.  For years he ran his charter from his larger motor yacht...but in the last 5 years or so, he kept that boat stationary and started trailering his second boat to distant locations..he was very commonly seen over in the Alpena area and up and down the three lakes.  Bill and the guys that were diving with him were doing stuff in the +375 ffw range and had been beyond 400 diving OC.  He was also known to find some new wrecks now and again as he ran with Side Scan Sonar....Bill recently decided to make the move to CCR diving.  He was diving some of his first dives on his new CCR in Wazee Lake during the time of the accident.  It had been confirmed that he in fact did have a heart attack under water and there was nothing that anyone with him could do to help him.  Those with him certainly tried.  Take a look at his site and read about some of the diving they were doing...and if you put your ear to the rail, you will find that many many people knew him and will miss what him as a man and what he offered the great lakes technical diving world...
Deano 
06-03-2008, 07:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2008, 04:25 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
My sincerest heart felt and emotional expression of sympathy to the family and friends.  I also want to express my compassion for the divers who were with him.  I don't really know any of the details, but I am sure you too are suffering.  It brings back memories to another wonderful human being that passed away 2 summers ago in Crosby. 

My recommendation to the divers that were with him, because these kind of diving incidents really affect you too, (as I and others have experienced it first hand) is to talk among yourselves about the incident.  Get help if you need some support and don't be afraid to express your pain.  Its gonna hurt for a long time.

Here is the site. 

I only met Bill one time.  He will always be a star.  Heaven just became a better place.

Maxfactor 
06-03-2008, 08:00 AM,
Correction:

06-03-2008, 07:42 PM,
WOW, I didn't know about this guy. We really lost a good one.  Thanks for the info and link. Let's all be safe out there this season.
Advanced Trimix, Experimental Russian Rebreather/KISS, A&P Aircraft Mechanic, Private Pilot, All around cool guy, Certified Arborist