Remember me
Lost Password Register

Shooters ice chopper
05-30-2008, 07:22 AM,
Shooters ice chopper
Sorry for starting a new post..just couldnt find the old one quick enough this morning...

Here is the response i got from Kira...
Let me know your thoughts.

Deano

Dean,

Well, if the point is stone – it does look prehistoric and could indeed be a tool/projectile point (aka arrowhead) – it could be as old as the Archaic to as recent as the Mississippian period, anywhere from 1000 to 7000 years ago.  However, it does not look to be made of chert, which is a smoother rock, typically used as a raw material for projectile points.  If it is basaltic, then I am dubious as to whether or not it is prehistoric.  It is very difficult to make a point 10 inches long out of anything but chert.

Is there a way to take a picture of it with sunshine on it?  Does it have quartz in it – or does it “sparkel” in the sun?

A couple of other links for you

Kira
Kira Kaufmann, Ph.D., RPA

Marine Archaeologist

Florida Public Archaeology Network, Dep. of Anthropology

Florida Atlantic University

111 East Las Olas Blvd.

Suite AT817

Ft. Lauderdale, FL. 33301

Phone: 954-762-5183

Cell: 954-913-9519

Fax: 954-762-5122

kaufmann@fau.edu

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´><((((º>  ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´><((((º>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops Did I really say that?????
05-30-2008, 12:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2008, 12:26 PM by Shooter.)
Re: Shooters ice chopper

Yes it does sparkle, I thought it was granite or something. I can send it to her if she wants. Very interesting stuff, thanks for the follow up

05-30-2008, 03:22 PM,
Re: Shooters ice chopper
ill send her an email to see if she wants to take a look at it...
Deano
Oops Did I really say that?????