Remember me
Lost Password Register

Brave or Stupid?
01-20-2003, 10:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2003, 10:34 PM by tbrown.)
Brave or Stupid?
Hope this does not end badly. That 1148.29 ft to us. Or 148.29 ft past the "nice round number" that Sheck Excelly did not survive.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
01-21-2003, 07:19 AM,
Re:Brave or Stupid?
This looks like one of the biggest CF's if I've ever seen one - switching to a YBOD (oops, Inspiration - Todd explain please) during ascent to do deco - why not give astronauts a parachute for reentry?
01-21-2003, 08:22 AM,
How can I kill me, let me count the ways.

In looking at a hazard analysis for this dive, switching to CCR probably doesn't increase the hazard a whole lot. But, since they are going to go CCR does that mean that they won't have enough gas in bottles for bailout since occasionally CCRs have been known to have problems. I mean, they can't all be heart attacks. Add to that, they will will be doing gas changes through a switch block. Like those have a great reputation. The couple of commercial guys I have talked to refuse to even touch them. The upside is that the recovery candidates will be in FFMs, so the last gasp can be recorded for posterity.
01-21-2003, 10:07 AM,
For those who don't know the term YBOD, CCRs or closed circuit rebreathers are very complicated devices with many modes of failure particularly from "user error." They have had an unfortunately high death rate (on the order of 0.5 to 1 percent of users) and since the Buddy Inspiration is the most widely used CCR, it has had a lot of "failures." So much so that some have taken to calling it the Yellow Box Of Death or YBOD for short (the Inspiration has a yellow box top covering the unit making one look like a yellow backed turtle). I think CCRs may have a place in the future but for me personally I think they are not advanced enough yet to put my life in the hands of one.
Heres and interesting thought for you - if they are using ROVs and full face masks with communication, there is the possibility of using the ROV as a "safety diver" to bring additional gas supplies should there be a YBOD failure leading to open circuit bailout.
Also, I understand that in the early astronaut programs they did have parachutes until they figured out that the astronauts would not survive using them. Hmmmm..
Todd
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
01-21-2003, 10:21 AM,
You forgot the Buddy Desperation and Buddy Expiration. That aside, I don't necessarily think that the technology is bad as much as they, all CCRs, are ending up in the hands of people who should not be using them. If someone is a little dodgy about how they prep for OC, going to CCR to make things easier, less equipment, is not a recipe for success. Or buying one because they are the latest thing to have.

As far as the risk of CCR on this dive goes, if someone is going to jump off of a 10 story building, adding lead boot won't make much a difference in the survivability. Not that CCR is a set of lead boots, just that the level of risk is so high now nothing could make it higher.

JoelW
01-21-2003, 11:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2003, 11:10 AM by freedivernd.)
Re:Brave or Stupid? Or just Addicted?
When I first read about this dive I thought, "how crazy can a scuba diver be?". This seems way more insane to me than doing a deep freedive. I'm trying to put it into perspective. I'm sure that they have their reasons and hopefully it's not just to go deeper than the other guy. But that really is probably it huh? I was thinking.. there is no sport in this.. depending on equipment and going down over 1000 feet, but then I realize that there are many sports where you depend on equipment.. car racing, boat racing, the list is endless. Even in freediving you depend of fins or fin. But why do it? Why go so fast in a boat? People get killed in the high speed boat races often enough. Why go so deep? I just wonder why, when I read about this record attempt, that I didn't for an inkling of a second think to myself that these people are just as crazy as some freediver finning down to 100 meters and back again. Freedivers are much more sane. Why do I think that there is a difference? All I could think was that they are totally crazy and nuts for even attempting such a venture. Way more insane than holding your breath and taking off for the abyss. So soon I'm asking myself, "why do I do what I do?". There is getting to be more and more risk as I go deeper and deeper so I really have to ask myself these questions. Why is my goal to fin down to 36.5 meters (120') this summer? What is drawing me down. Why am I already thinking if I achieve 120' then my goal for the next summer should be 140', maybe 150'. If I'm making 300' under the water in a pool fairly easily (depending on the day) why not go for 150' deep this summer, that's only 300' total? It can't be to go deeper than the other guy... there are hundreds of people who have gone much deeper than that. O.k., maybe not hundreds deeper than 150' but hundreds and hundreds deeper than 100'. What is this problem? What is the addiction? Maybe it's the same one these two individuals have I guess. Today in the pool, under the water, I feel like I'm in my element. I'm where I belong. There's nothing there.. there doesn't need to be. It's just me and the water, the slow rhythm of my heart beat.... and the little bit of pressure I can experience in a 10' deep pool. It's quiet, it's peaceful. Can it possibly get any better than this? I don't know.....Maybe at 120'....... Maybe over 1000' too.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-21-2003, 12:17 PM,
It seems like the main reason to break the record is because someone else holds the record. I question the relevence of any scientific gains. We already know how to safely put divers at 1000 feet to perform meaningful work.
--Jason
01-21-2003, 12:34 PM,
I guess I can't see myself putting my life into a situation that is life threatening just to break a record. The biggest bubble, largest ball of twine, or 'maybe' even for the most pogo-stick hops... :o
01-21-2003, 01:50 PM,
Pretty stupid. Hopefully it won't cost them their lives.
01-21-2003, 10:43 PM,
AMEN guys!!!! I concur !!!
Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH