Remember me
Lost Password Register

foggy mask!!! Why? Help
06-01-2008, 08:12 PM,
foggy mask!!! Why? Help
My girlfriend has a constant problem of her mask fogging up... We put the drops in, smear em' around and rinse.... sometimes we let the drops dry, still no luck... she swears she does not breathe thru her nose and she keeps her mask on her face, until it fogs up and we reappy more drops... Any fellow divers help us out with this foggy problem? ???
06-01-2008, 08:19 PM,
Re: foggy mask!!! Why? Help
If it's a new mask, use some toothpaste on the inside of the lens.  There is a residue from the manufacturer left on a new mask, and this will take it out.  Just scrub a little bit, rinse, and do it again.  Should work. 
06-02-2008, 04:19 AM,
After scrubbing the mask with tooth paste then try Sea Gold anti-fog gel which works great.
06-02-2008, 08:23 AM,
yeah, I like the sea gold.  With any anti-fog or even spit, it's really should go on a dry mask to be effective.

The last two masks I bought took 3 + cleanings before they quit fogging and then still did a bit on the edges for awhile..  one was really stubborn and took evem more cleaning.
Cold and dark down there huh?
06-02-2008, 10:40 AM,
Before toothpaste, verify you do not have acrylic lens! I have the yellow SeaView mask and you can't use paste. It came with special cleaner.

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
06-02-2008, 01:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-02-2008, 02:29 PM by beeger.)
Also, here's a tip: If she is storing her mask inside the plastic box that the mask came in when purchased, scrub that out also with the aforementioned toothpaste. I can't explain it in practical terms, other than to say in some cases there is still a fair amount of silicone residue on the inside of these boxes which, somehow or other, leeches back onto the mask and lens when the mask is stored inside the box. As for defog, I like the 500psi brand.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
06-02-2008, 02:02 PM,
ive had luck with keeping a small amount of water in my mask after i apply any defog or even a small amount of gentle dish soap (soap might not be for everyone)

when looking down, the small amount of water will recollect the 'fog' and just go back to the bottom of the mask when you look forward as long as the inside lens is clean from oil or dirt

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
06-02-2008, 02:33 PM,
Apply baby shampoo (purchase from you LDS of course) the night before let dry, rinse off just before diving. Al
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM,
I use to have problems with fog. I switched to oatmeal cookie spit for ice diving and haven't used anything since.

Your results may vary.

I've been told Cheeto's work great but I don't like the orange fingers.  :Smile

Seriously, I just spit in the mask and it's never fogged but I do use toothpaste ever few months.

About the silicon, I use to work in a body shop and the paint guys always use to cry when a product had 'free' silicone in it. It somehow goes aerosol and creates fish eyes in new paint so I would expect the mask box to do the same to your mask.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-14-2008, 05:18 PM,
Interesting.  I never tried letting it dry.  I have tried the baby shampoo with an immediate rinse and only had good luck in warm tropical conditions.  It didn't work worth a crap in cold water for some reason.  I do prefer a mask defog to be clear though.  Stuff like 500psi which does work good tends to leave a blue crusty toothpaste like residue in the cracks between the lens and frame which I found annoying.