Remember me
Lost Password Register

Shark Dive at Mall of America
06-04-2008, 08:04 PM,
Shark Dive at Mall of America
Has anyone done the shark dive at MOA? I saw a segment on one of the news shows a while back (was it the Today show?) and I've also heard from people that its worth the money. I also just got an email that they will be auctioning off a shark dive at the Mall of America in some online environmental auction. Does anyone know anything about it?
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM,
Re: Shark Dive at Mall of America
I did it a few years ago. They give you a quick behind the scenes tour of the tanks. Then a dive in the freshwater tank with the native Minnesota fish, where you hand feed worms to the sturgeon. The shark dive is very controlled. They have all the divers backed in a corner and the guides stay out front with long poles. The sharks swim past and the guides will use the poles if necessary to steer the sharks away, if they get too close. After that they take you to another area in the shark tank where your can look for shark teeth on the bottom. You get to keep what you find. It was a neat experience to say that you did it. The best part for me was that my parents, my brother and his wife brought their kids and were watching us from inside the tunnel. They took photos of us and I took some of them. They thought that was pretty cool. I also gave them all of the shark teeth that I found, which they thought was even cooler. A friend on mine that did the dive with me has also done the dive at Epcot Center. He said there was no comparison and is trying to get me to do the Epcot dive with him.
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM,
That does sound pretty amazing. Thanks for all the great info. I did find the auction that has the shark dive. Do you remember how much you paid when you went? I'm not sure how high to bid on it. Here's the link to the auction page:

I think I'm going to try to win it. Wish me luck!
06-05-2008, 12:48 PM,
I read the price some time ago at $189.  Mid winter,  it start to sound good!
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
06-05-2008, 12:54 PM,
I got one of the certificates at the GLSPS show this winter.  haven't done the dive yet, so if you win the auction holler when you're going to do the dive. and maybe I can tag along.  I've got a friend with two young daughters who we think will get a kick out of seeing me on the other side of the plexiglas!
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
06-06-2008, 12:12 PM,
Here is a link to their website. It is a little more expensive than when I went a few years ago.

One other thing I do remember is that they needed a minimum number of divers to run the dive. I think it was four, but I don't remember for sure.