Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR
01-08-2003, 11:02 AM,
Re:DIR
Good point, Joel. I'd assume gear configuration only. I've spoke with both shops briefly myself on DIR in the past and got the same reaction as you described from them. Most of their disagreements were with Deco. I still like the guys at both shops though, they're nice people and have helped me out a lot. They just don't support "everything" with the DIR philosophy and system. I'm not 100% DIR myself but like you said earlier "I lean that way". I think GUDC and SD&T teach some things in common with DIR when it comes to "tech" diving but again I'd venture to guess most of that is in gear configuration and definately not in the Deco Procedures.
01-08-2003, 12:14 PM,
I like the guys at both shops as well. SD&T enough that I am working on DM with Rich. I am not 100% either and probably won't get there, my fitness level could stand a bit of improvement and I am still a bit dependent on the computer.

There is also a bit of hashing out what exactly is DIR. I have seen west coast GUE differing from east coast GUE that differs from WKPP. The guys teaching it still need to do a bit of work on agreeing on the particulars. The flap last year on the GUE list about drysuits was a good example. We were told in the class that the DUI TLS-350 is not a good choice and another suit is a better choice because of some of the characteristics. The east coast chimed in a said that the west coast was full of crap. So there may be some regional variation in the end.

If planning on buying gear and a person is interested in DIR a good thing to do is find out what exactly is recommended and why. The Fundamentals book does a good job of describing what is required for a piece of gear. Additionally, talking to the guys at FifthD, Extreme-Exposure or some of the more vocal guys, Like Mike Kane, can take care of a lot of questions.

Another very good source is to spend the $29 and get onto the GUE mail list.

JoelW
01-08-2003, 12:46 PM,
It was SD&T. Looks like we are taking the same path (I will be doing DM with them late this summer).
And yes, the general idea was that it was more the gear configs than anything. But it is a step in that direction for them (and others).
I have done all my Minn. certifications with them and I tend to stay quite loyal to my teaching LDS (for instruction).
And Rich has never steered me wrong. Hopefully, that will continue in the future!!!
Thanks again guys, for enlightening me a little more!!!!

Take care...Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
01-08-2003, 01:05 PM,
So did they recommend 'no hood dives' at 100 feet in Minnesota?
Wink

Just messin' with ya... you know you're never gonna live that one down.
01-08-2003, 03:15 PM,
Actually, I think that was brought up. There was something about THINGS YOU SHOULD NEVER DO UNLESS INSANE!!!
I just met someone new on our board and they were quoted at saying:
"Are you the Jean that dives down to 100 Feet without a dive hood?"
I had to admit that I was. But thats OK. At least I am remembered around here for something!!!

Thanks for the smile ;D
Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
01-08-2003, 04:15 PM,
The DIR gear config is just a permutation of the Hogarthian system which has been around for decades. I think the big contribution that DIR/GUE/etc have made is raising the awareness of this gear config and related skills amongst recreational divers. Technical divers (mostly cave/wreck) knew all about the advantages this config offered long ago. Now we know too.

--Jason
01-08-2003, 05:35 PM,
Seems to me, given the inventiveness of the human mind, that there will always be many great approaches to any opportunity or activity. There are many very good things about DIR, about hogarthian setup, and even about PADI, an organization that has introduced many, and most of us, to the sport we love!
I say take your pick - continue to learn, evolve and dive safely.
Dan L
01-10-2003, 02:48 PM,

I've spoke with both shops briefly myself on DIR in the past and got the same reaction as you described from them. Most of their disagreements were with Deco. I think GUDC and SD&T teach some things in common with DIR when it comes to "tech" diving but again I'd venture to guess most of that is in gear configuration and definately not in the Deco Procedures.

I can't speak for GUDC, but as far as deco is concerned at SD&T, they use EAN50 and O2 for deco, include deep stops in the profiles, slow ascents, taking back gas breaks, slow ascents from 20ft to the surface, don't do any of the EAN80 crap, mix proper gasses, and even use Decoplanner and Dplan to calculate profiles. What's not DIR about that?
BTW, their is no such thing as DIR deco - there's only proper deco, developed by Bill Hamilton and Erik Baker (too name a few) and adapted and tried out by WKPP people (which goes much further back than just Wakulla III).
01-10-2003, 03:06 PM,

"If planning on buying gear and a person is interested in DIR a good thing to do is find out what exactly is recommended and why. The Fundamentals book does a good job of describing what is required for a piece of gear. Additionally, talking to the guys at FifthD, Extreme-Exposure or some of the more vocal guys, Like Mike Kane, can take care of a lot of questions."

Interesting point you brought up Joel. When it comes to buying DIR gear as recommended by Global Underwater Explorers, which was founded by Jarrod Jablonski, the one name that constantly is being referred to is Halcyon gear, whose founder and CEO is Jarrod Jablonski. The main distributor online of Halcyon gear is Extreme Exposure in Florida, owned by - let's take a guess - Jarrod Jablonski.
Five years ago George Irvine would tell you that the best bladder money could buy was the Diverite Classic Wing. Then his best buddy and divepartner Jarrod Jablonski started Halcyon Manufacturing, and all of a sudden the Diverite wing was a piece of stroke gear that was going to get you killed?!
At FifthD they'll tell you the DUI TLS350 is a piece of crap, and instead you should buy the suit manufactured under their name. Quite interesting to know is that Andrew Georgitsis(?) - owner of FifthD - couldn't get a DUI dealership because the largest DUI dealer in Seattle was across the street from him. Go figure.
A couple of years ago the main reg recommended by the WKPP was Scubapro - you were a stroke if you didn't dive it. Back then, one of the main WKPP explorers of the WKPP worked in Scubapro's R&D. Now he no longer does, and guess what, their favorite reg is Apeks.

What I'm trying to say is that there is more than just manufacturer of DIR equipment, and that a lot of the reasoning behind preferring one manufacturer by the DIR "topdogs" has a lot more to do than just the quality of the product. Question is whether the consumer is stupid enough to pay 50% for a similar piece of equipment just because so and so said so.

BTW, I'm about as close to DIR as you can get, yet I don't own a single piece of Halcyon equipment with the exception of my p-valve (which is the cheapest one around, and manufactured for Halcyon by Otter Drysuits).
01-10-2003, 03:39 PM,
DRE,

When I wrote my reply I specifically left out any mention of gear names for the reasons you mentioned. In the DIRF class we were told that the DUI suit is not a good choice. The east coast GUE jumped in on a board and said that was crap. I think that the point is to understand what in a piece of gear makes it DIR appropriate and find something manufactured that fits the bill. Blindly following recommendations serves no purpose for the buyer.

An example is wings. If correct weighting is followed then wing selection can proceed from there. For single tank diving a wing 40# or lower provides enough lift. In the 40# range there are a number of robust wings that fulfill the qualifications: OMS 40# (non-bungeed), Halcyon Pioneer #36, Abysmal 40#. A person can pick or choose the wing they want. The important part that I see DIR doing is at least describing what the important characteristics of a piece of gear are and why something should or should not be used. Jablonski's book has a lot of Halcyon stuff in it but that is to be expected. In its favor though, the book describes the characteristics for each piece of gear.

In the long run, understand the requirements and move on from there. Getting into a pissing contest with the "topdogs" won't get you anywhere.

I am more than happy with my Dive Rite Suit, Dive Rite and OMS plates, Dive Rite and Halcyon wings, Dive Rite HID light, etc. From what I have read and asked questions about, they fulfill the requirements. Other than my Weezle undies all of my gear passed the scrutiny of a couple of the DIR gods. So Halcyon is not the only choice.

JoelW