Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cozumel (or something)
07-08-2008, 12:10 PM,
Re: Cozumel (or something)
The shore diving I've done in Coz has not been great -- but better than nothing.  Wink  I'll reaffirm what others have said.  If you want shore diving then nothing compares to Bonaire.  If budget is a big consideration then stick with Coz.
--Jason
07-09-2008, 08:36 AM,

here is a good list of shops

I found some tech operations that got pretty heavy into caving on the mainland. Didn't make it there though.....I have heard good things about the cenotes from people in cave country
01-03-2009, 04:03 PM,
arcflash did you go to Coz and did you stay at Wyndham?
We are staying there 2/7 with a couple who have been there before in the adult only section. They say it's a great place.
Was wondering what your experience was like. I think the diving is going to be through Sand Dollar Sports.
01-04-2009, 03:52 PM,
we had been at the Wyndham for the last two years. The condos are very nice.
In the past we stayed at the Allegro and the Grande as well as the Fiesta. All hotels were having good food and a good all inclusive service. We travel usually with wife and K12 kids therefore we have some unique request like sandy beaches etc. If you have kids then a second set of parents is a good strategy, nanny service is challenge but possible with a bit patients.
All of those dive operators serving the above hotels are doing a good job. The issue we have seen with most of the dive operators is the fact that cruise ships are  preferred customers. Therefore when several cruise ships are in town you will have to share a smaller often rented boat beside delays on the schedule.
I would say the diving is fair to good; as usual there is not much variety of fish and critters to find. The diving is very relaxed if you know to manage your air. The conduct of the dives is standard non deco and you will go deeper than 100ft only on special request beside limited there is nothing special to it.
Shore diving is not very popular and only for training purpose; sandy low viz and boat traffic is the main deterrent. Kids diving is not a good idea since small tanks <80cu are seldom in Cozumel.
The fresh water dives along the Riviera are adventures and if you have not done caverns a reason to stay south of Cancoon. We have stayed a couple times in Akumal. The diving along the Riviera is mostly low viz and sandy. Cozumel is definitively the better choice for relaxed drift diving and good viz.

Be aware of the special deals make sure you know the pricing from different sources. A lot of the local trips can be done by yourself for less than half what you are quoted and a lot of times those trips are not very exiting beside over priced.

Andreas Thurnheer
Andreas
01-04-2009, 06:51 PM,
We have had a great experience with our hotel as far as diving goes. Regardless of the cruise ships our dives have never been changed. We are asked everyday where we want to go and they have always gotten 72's for my son. It's not as fancy as the bigger hotels or AI's but I love the personal attention we get every year. Unfortunately we can't stay there but are still diving with them.