Remember me
Lost Password Register

hydrooptix Masks
07-21-2008, 08:40 AM,
hydrooptix Masks
Smile

Has anyone used one of these masks? Or know someone who has used one.

I want to know if they live up to the hype before i plunk down my hard earned green.

ScubaDealsUSA<br />http://www.scubadealsusa.com<br />Email:Info@scubadealsusa.com
07-21-2008, 09:32 AM,
Re: hydrooptix Masks
but what? you have to be nearsighted to use it ... or wear contacts to make you near sighted.. :Smile I'd just get an atomics aquatica and call it good... like looking through a picture window.  Plus, if it makes things look the true size, I couldn't be telling everyone that the shark was at least 10' long.. what fun would that be?
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-21-2008, 10:24 AM,
I have use them on 10 to 15 dives they work as advertised, you will have a much wider field of view and that part is great.  I stopped using mine after I had lasik as I would need a new pair of contacts.  The second disadvantage is they are a pain to wear out of water and you need special sunglasses to see and get gear up.
07-21-2008, 10:27 AM,

what do you mean? because you're having to do it all nearsighted?

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-21-2008, 10:34 AM,
Yes you are in fact very near sighted.  I can gear up by feel, but walking down steps with thing past about 6 inches being blurry is cool the first time, after that it gets old.  They do have a cover for over the lens to use when you have the mask on it does work if you want to carry one more item in.  With all the disadvantages someday I'll probably get a new pair of contacts and dive with the mask again it does allow one to see more.
07-21-2008, 11:22 AM,
So from what i am hearing it works great under the water but you can't see much when wearing them above water.

I just wanted to know if they live up to the hype. Thanks for the info.
ScubaDealsUSA<br />http://www.scubadealsusa.com<br />Email:Info@scubadealsusa.com
07-26-2008, 06:29 PM,

i think for the novelty of it, it sounds like a pain... when i first started diving i had contacts, then lasik as well, and swimming with contacts just seems like another factor to worry about if you have to clear your mask, getting crap in your eye with a contact is aggravating enough on dry land

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
07-26-2008, 10:31 PM,
I had the opportunity to try them last year. I got as far as starting the dive. Once I was under water things were a blur.  The reason is I am nearsighted and wear contacts while diving, so it must have been an over correction. I stopped there and grab my own mask.

In my situation I would have to not wear contacts, wear the opti mask with the designer coke bottle bottom lenses attached while on the surface and remove the lense at the start of a dive. Sweet! Just give me one of the those beanies with propellers on top, too.

IMO it's a PITA!

07-26-2008, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-26-2008, 11:49 PM by DiverQueen.)
I use contact lenses and occasionally feel the irritation when I clear my mask.  There are Major differences in the way contact lenses feel on your eyes.  I was using AcuVue Oasys brand lenses and they ALWAYS felt secure on my eyes when clearing my mask.  Now I have switched to Frequency 55 Toric lenses due to my astigmatism (at the recommendation of my eye doctor) and they feel like they want to jump off my eyes half the time even when I'm not clearing my mask.
On the other hand, I got prescription lenses put in my husband's mask.  He's used it one time in the pool and has yet to complete dive training.....
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
07-27-2008, 08:10 AM,
Your eyes can actually get bent wearing contacts. Mine did before I quit wearing contacts and got a prescription mask.  I was wearing the rigid gas permeable contact lenses.  Not sure if the same is true for soft lenses.  What happens when your eyes get bent is your vision appears kinda blurry...similar to looking through a fogged up lens.  In my case it took a few hours for it to clear up.  I only experienced this when doing repetitive dives and getting near the NDL.