Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bayfield
07-23-2008, 09:45 PM,
Bayfield
...hi...heading to Bayfield for a long weekend & would like to ft a dive or two in........any suggestions.. ?......thanks much...
Dive Safe
07-23-2008, 10:40 PM,
Re: Bayfield
As I see it on my Superior lake map and dive chart....The Lucerne, a Schooner lost near Chequamecan Pt.   Noque Bay, Schooner grounded and burned off Presque Isle bay of Stockton Island.  T.H. Camp, Tug capsized and sank off Basswood and Madeline Islands.  Fin M. Cool, Barge ashore and abandoned outside of Bayfield, bow out of water, balance in 20 ft.  Fedora, propeller driven ship burned alongside Basswood Island 1 mile north of Red Cliff, partly above water.  Cormorant, propeller driven ship took fire off N side of Basswood Island (Beached, raised and towed to Bayfield, stripped and abandoned in Red Cliff Bay close to the Ottawa.)  Ottawa, Wrecking tug burned while at anchor in North end of Red Cliff Bay, 25 foot depth.

Hope this helps make for a fun and safe trip!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
07-24-2008, 10:03 AM,
The Fin McCool is easy dive but it's a barge so it's a huge wooden box. I dive it ever time I have gear with me. The entrance has had construction around it but the shore side of the private docks  has a walk in. Sometime you can see a tiny bit sticking out of the water. If not you need to go 50/80 yards out and to the right. 25 feet of water. Bring a flag or two, your next to a shipping lane. Most boater stay away from it but you are close so don't make a mistake and swim up the channel. This can be hard to find without local knowledge. It's also a private marina so be really nice and stay away from peoples boats. They don't want strangers poking around but it you stay out of the way and don't make noise they just say hello and move on. Try to limit it to one car, parking is tight and for owners.

Their is a old car, model A(?) in 65 feet off the break wall by the playground. It's hard to say were it is but there is a large slab of cement I use, drop in and down 6 feet at the base of the wall you'll find a yellow poly line, follow that to the guide line. Vis is 20 ish. The seafloor drops quick so mind your fining or your coming back in a silt out. This site has a surface current so it's best to leave a rope tied to shore so you can hold on as everyone gets out (and in I suppose)

Old stuff off the little beach to the right of the fish market. Easy sand entry, Swim left out of the beach, find 20 feet and follow it, it's full of old pier/wood and bits of iron. Not great but nice. Vis was 30 or so last time.

USE FLAGS (I mark the shore for the car)
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
07-24-2008, 09:13 PM,
....thanks to you both for the info....looking forward to getting out.... Smile    ...take care.......
Dive Safe
07-26-2008, 03:30 PM,
Was just up at Bayfield diving. The owner of the marina is expanding a little and he has a big barge that he ties up right next to the Finn Mcoo (sp).  You might want to ask about going off his property but if his boat is moving at all that day, I doubt if he would say yes.

If you dive off the park, the line to the car has been re-done and there is a second line going to a "Diving locker" that people have been putting old fins and mask in etc.

You can get air at the marina next to Port Superior. We were told there that divers are doing shore dives off Detour Point. When we actually go there, there was no water access. Called the guy on cell phone and found out he meant Eagle Bay. Did a dive there, nice entry, clear but shallow. When done a couple on the beach said we were at a private beach owned by the reservation and we were to to leave.

Tom