Remember me
Lost Password Register

Flash memory Read write cell cycle limit
02-02-2010, 07:33 AM,
Flash memory Read write cell cycle limit
recently there is some interest in the maximum number of read/write cycles for flash memory. this was not so important when I first switched to digital format, but now after having flash disks fail several times on me, i am raising my awareness to the limits of the technology.
old pre2010 has 10,000 cycle service time. sounds like allot.... if you use your memory sticks as a storage medium for both pictures and other files that you access on a daily basis and especially if you are in the paranoid habit of saving edits several times per day, with in a year the 10,000 range +/- is possible. I am upset as i have now burned yet another $40 flash stick this time in about 8 months. previously i wrote it off to mechanical failure of the flash stick just falling appart. this was not that it is perfect......anyways a new stick is supposedly comming this year that has 100,000 cycle service time. .. not quite as good a stone tablets but next best thing.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
02-02-2010, 09:52 AM,
Re: Flash memory Read write cell cycle limit
What brand are you using?  I usually use sandisk and haven't had a problem with them.  I've had other ones go though,
02-03-2010, 06:45 AM,
Re: Flash memory Read write cell cycle limit
the scandisk that failed was mechanical the plastic lock button fell out, i pushed a replacement in and it worked for a while but eventually fell out again.
disk failure was from Tran micron in house brand. i think i also had a scandisk that the pins wore lose but that was mechanical not actual memory burn
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;