Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Diving rules for Banff
08-04-2008, 01:51 PM,
Ice Diving rules for Banff

"After cutting an access hole in the ice, the cut piece of ice should be supported under the water with several 2x2s. This piece of ice can then be floated to the surface to plug the hole when vacating the site. Access holes must not be larger than 4 metres in diameter, and must be constantly supervised by an attendant on the surface."

2x2? What? To hold the ice on the bottom of the lake? How in the hell am I going to do that!

4 metres! Is that really a problem? Who cuts a 12 foot hole!?

Am I reading this right?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-04-2008, 04:53 PM,
Re: Ice Diving rules for Banff
2x2 to prevent the ice piece from freezing to the lake ice.

-Matt
08-04-2008, 07:06 PM,
Fair enough but I take the ice out.
08-04-2008, 07:34 PM,
But not every one does that. If you slide the ice piece back in the hole and put some thin ice signs in the cracks around the edges it will freeze in faster.
grumpie......
08-06-2008, 10:56 AM,
We put the block back in and mark it! We just take it out so the lines don't catch it or on emergency exit the diver could crash into it and hurt themselves. It's also almost impossible to safely push 30+ inches of ice down and it is Canada so I think 30 is fair.

Ice math just for fun. Water is 62.416 lb/ft[sup]3[/sup] and Ice density is .9167. Floating force should be equal to the volume of water displaced - the weight of ice so... a 6 foot equilateral triangle (30 inches deep) is 45 ft[sup]3[/sup] and weighs 2574lb on land but with a 45 cubic foot displacement it needs to move 2808 in water. The buoyancy should be the difference between it's displacement - weight or 2808 - 2574 = 234 pounds.  I don't think my skinny 145 lb frame is going to push that kind of ice anyplace. Smile

08-06-2008, 11:20 AM,

Since when is math fun? ???  My math,  2nd day hunting, Limit is 6 grouper, I have 4 and will eat 2 for supper how many more grouper can I shoot?
08-06-2008, 07:03 PM,
All math is fun, 100 feet for 12 minute = 20 lb firetruck at 500 psi and 3 minutes to get to the surface!

Nate: I saw a picture of some big grouper on a Little Cayman website and i pulled the trigger in my mind before I realized what I did! Smile I guess I need to go spear again.

Going with the jug boss!
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM,

You've been infected with the spearfishing virus! There is no cure......Large slabs of grouper flesh seared on the grill only aggravate the condition! I get to go in sept for the johnylongblades open
08-15-2008, 05:54 AM,
[/quote]

ahhh that makes the mouth water!!!!
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;