Remember me
Lost Password Register

RNC
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM,
RNC
How would you like to be a PSD during the next two weeks? What type for training would you set up for your dive teams? In the last four months what would you review as far as your dive program and skills.
This is a 24/7 operation, who and how would you divided your teams up.
How would you pick your team leaders.
Would gender make a differences?
In your pre-dive planing of the area what would you look for and at?
This may not be a AREA that your use to.

Lets have some ideas and realistic thoughts
grumpie.......
PS use your diving  brains and water knowledge
08-21-2008, 08:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-22-2008, 07:26 AM by ballfrog.)
Re: RNC
Well, you take the good with the bad, right?

Quote:What type for training would you set up for your dive teams?
Interview skills, witness vetting, site analysis, scene preservation/crowd control, stress recognition and management,  equipment familiarity, zero visibility searching techniques, extrication, current management, and I'll probably think of some other things later.

Quote: In the last four months what would you review as far as your dive program and skills.
Everything.

Quote:This is a 24/7 operation, who and how would you divided your teams up.
Diver, safety/backup diver, dive tender.

Quote:How would you pick your team leaders.
Overall experience and management skills would take precedence over diving skills.

Quote:Would gender make a differences?
Nah.

Quote:In your pre-dive planing of the area what would you look for and at?
Look for witnesses and surface evidence and evaluate hazards or potential hazards.  In rescue mode you have to move fast and you want to look in the best place, but it's stupid to create more emergencies like a diver stuck in a strainer or something. 

Quote:This may not be a AREA that your use to.
It never was.

Quote:Lets have some ideas and realistic thoughts
grumpie.......
PS use your diving  brains and water knowledge

Build a good collection of topo maps for everywhere you might have to work. 

Get sonar out as fast as possible, even a handheld unit on a kayak might help.

Underwater cameras come in handy. 
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
08-21-2008, 10:10 PM,
Re: RNC
The Minneapolis and St. Paul areas are riddled with caves and tunnels that were the "Speak Easies" of the Prohibition era.  Some of them are walled up with concrete and block.  Some are just hidden better than others. 

St. Paul Waterworks has already welded shut the manhole covers in the area.  Your divers in that system had better have plenty of air down there!

Keep the riverside areas well patrolled!  Especially the output from those Storm Sewers and such!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!