Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dry Glove Liners
08-27-2008, 10:52 AM,
Re: Dry Glove Liners
Here is what I think is happening. If you are not venting the gloves to the rest of your body there is no place for the perspiration from your hands to go. Even though it is not much, your hands will perspire. The sweat then chills and is transmitted to your hands.
Here is a simple fix for that. I wear a thin pair of (here is the key) Polypropylene gloves that are long enough to go past you cuff seal. Put these gloves on 1st, Then finish putting your suit on. A side benefit of this is it is easier to slide your hands through the cuff sleeves and it is easier on your wrist seals. You now have venting to the warm air in your suit. Some people use straws to do the same thing, but I could never find the starws and it was uncomfortable. The thin glove is the key as is be sure to use poly gloves. You can wear another pair of gloves (poly)  over the thin ones. I started doing this because I wear 2 rings and they are tough to get off. Consequently I would nick the seals and then have to replace them. Now I go 3-4 years on the same set of wrist seals.
If your hands do get chilly just raise the above your head and warm air will fil the gloves and the hands become warm again.
Try it. I hope this helps.

09-08-2008, 03:12 PM,
"Manzella Warmer" - I got an 1:15 on them and so far they are considerably warmer then the 'yellow knit' that come with many gloves. I haven't found 38 degrees but 44 degrees (90 feet/Superior) for 30 minutes and I forgot to even think about my hands so they must have been fine.

I'll shop around for the other recommendations.

They are getting damp so I may try the suggested Nitrile gloves when Ice comes in.

Thanks everyone.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
09-13-2008, 01:54 PM,
Your gloves will get damp. That is the perspiration from your hands and is normal. If you use nitrile, which doesnt breathe, your hand will get chilled because of "that" moisture. Do not use nitrile. Use thin polyester instead. I have found them for less than $2 at caplins in B.C. East side of "81"

09-13-2008, 06:25 PM,
The reason moisture would cause your hands to get chilled is because the moisture (perspiration) reduces the effectiveness of the insulating layer. Using a "moisture barrier" such as a nitrile or latex glove seals the moisture away from the insulation, allowing the insulation to work effectively. It works great. I use them all the time.
09-14-2008, 06:59 AM,
O.K. I will try them. It works against what my experiences have been though. But I will try. I am older now and the circulation is not what it used to be.
09-14-2008, 03:46 PM,
It does go against conventional thinking in that normally we want a wicking layer against our skin, but in a dry glove, your hand is in a very small, sealed area where the moisture has nowhere to go. When dressing for something like a hike or other activity outdoors we wear breathable fabrics such as gore-tex that allows the moisture to escape.
09-15-2008, 03:40 PM,
The vapor barrier actually follows a classic line of thinking on winter camping, that of the VBL for sleeping bags. I find that a few nights at zero or less I can get by without them if I stuff a 35 inside a zero bag. I haven't been out long enough to consider one but this may be the year.

The product. Looks a lot like  a $9 bivy bag Smile only it's a few pesos more.

Any layer poly should work if it's not crushed. The heat pressure moves water away from skin in poly. If I remember my physics this is the 2nd law of thermodynamics. (cotton absorbs it, it takes a lot of pressure to push it out. If you've ever had wet jeans you know it's a long time) So I expect the layers of gloves to work very much like layers for x-country skiing so they are inline with each other just using different requirements.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.