Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dry glove ventalation alternatives
06-01-2008, 10:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2008, 10:59 AM by Raiderswim.)
Dry glove ventalation alternatives
Does anyone use a technique other than the tube to vent their dry gloves.  I know a guy who puts his liners on before the drysuit so the liner acts as a vent.  Anyone else use some other way to vent their dry gloves?
06-01-2008, 03:44 PM,
Re: Dry glove ventalation alternatives
I have heard that simply putting a small piece if cave line in the wrist seal will create enough of an opening to allow equalization. Haven't tried it myself though. Seems like it would work.
06-01-2008, 09:28 PM,
Many many people just tuck their cotton gloves under their wrist seals..it works very well...i dove with 4 guys today that use this method...
Oops Did I really say that?????
06-02-2008, 01:53 PM,
I've used any number of methods. All work, none are perfect. If I'm feeling lazy I pull the thumb loop of my underwear under the seal. Otherwise a few inches of thin bungee cord under each seal does the trick. I prefer slow equalization.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
08-27-2008, 12:48 PM,
I'm on a public safety dive team and we are about to change over to dry gloves.
I would think another consideration would be flooding in case of a torn glove.
Having a way to pull the ventilation system from the wrist seal to stop the flooding from getting into your dry suit.
08-27-2008, 05:43 PM,
For many years I have just been sliding a zip-tie under each wrist seal.
They provide enough space to let the gloves vent slowly.
If you tear a glove it is easy enough to remove.
And I have never been on a dive boat or around another diver that didn't several spare zip-ties.
Bob
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM,
I used zip seal glves. After up to an hour of being under the ice, my fingers start to get cold. I will regularly lift my arm up and allow warm air to warm my fingers. I also use the disposable heat packets inside my gloves. When I had a leak in my glove,  I did not use the arm lift technique :Smile. It only hurt for about the first 10 minutes ;D after that there was a warm, almost burning sensation :o  it did make it difficult to pick up anchors and ancient caveman Ice spuds ;D
09-01-2008, 08:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2008, 07:25 PM by mcdiver.)
I use to use a liner under my drysuit gloves. I would put the gloves on first, then slide my army into the sleeves and part of the liners would stay under the wrist seals, thus allowing air to enter my drysuit gloves.

However, there was a problem. On occasions when I would have to elevate my hands above my shoulders, air would bleed through the arms and into the gloves, causing the gloves to "inflate," looked funnier then heck. So I decided to go without, Ron said that the insulated gloves that I purchased should keep my hands plenty warm, and they did, and they continue to, so I have not used a glove liner in almost 4 years, and my hands are still pretty toasty.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201