Remember me
Lost Password Register

Building DPV
01-28-2003, 06:13 PM,
Re:Building DPV
I like hearing about DIY projects. What do you estimate as the total cost of this project? (parts+time). Are you doing it just for fun or are you customizing it in some way? Finally, once it is built and tested, where are you going to use it? I understand using the DPV in caves for exploration. Give us some examples of how people use these in minnesota.
--Jason
01-28-2003, 08:58 PM,
What about scootering from shore to the Madeira or Hesper - takes about a minute to get there, you hardly use any gas, and you can go all the way around the corner with lots of time to spare. What about Isle Royale (if you're allowed to take 'em on a boat) - you can cruise all around any of the wrecks there - go inside, come back out and take another sweep. And last, what about using them in about any lake here, muck is muck, but muck flying by at 2mph seems a lot more interesting.
For caves it's the absolute best, btu you really need to now what you're doing (i'm referring to gas management scenarios, which tend to get a bit more complicated, also redundancy, stage bottle use, etc.)
01-28-2003, 10:34 PM,
If your buddy had one as well you could play bumper scooters ;D
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
01-29-2003, 06:38 AM,
When Chris and I were out at Wazee last year we saw some snorkelers using scooters. It was pretty cool. They would swoop down to about 20-30 feet for awhile and then cruise back up for air and come back down. That would be pretty awesome with scuba. Like DRE said you could cover a lot more ground on a dive and use less air.
01-29-2003, 11:40 AM,

Cost of the project? Seeing my friend has most shop equipment that'll be required (routers, lathe, milling machine) here's the estimate breakdown so far:

Big ass hull (3' HDPE, 12.75" OD, .75" wall) $40
End caps (same big ass hull material, 1" solid $60
Trolling motor + prop (28lb variable speed) $50
Battery (Batteries Plus VRLA 12V 35Ahr) $75
Speed Controller(555 IC timer, MOSFET, caps, res,misc) $25
Latches (8 depth compensating, ESTIMATE at $10 each) $80
Kort (fiberglass or metal?? not a clue at $$...) $XX

So right now we're looking at about $330ish but most of the electrical components I already have and the hull is big enough for 2 units. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff but it'll give you an idea. Startup costs ain't fun.

I'm just doing the project for fun though I intend to really use the thing when it's done. We'll start with one and go from there. Already we can see that the tube we have is REALLY large and we'd probably be able to get by with the 10" size. This'll make the unit more streamlined and have less buoyancy to deal with.

A DPV can be used anywhere. They make most sense when you need to travel distance while maximizing air consumption. Also, seeing they're really expensive it helps to have good financial backers or be involved with a high profile expedition to the (fill in your favorite wreck). In my case I just wanna do barrel rolls and flips. Nothing like it when skydiving, so it's gotta be cool underwater too. I might put a big shark fin on the top of mine to scare swimmers.... Nothing like those Great Whites in Square Lake.

I've did some diving on the Madeira last year with Superior Expeditions (Bob's da man!). It woulda been sweet to tool around it and get the whole picture all without using too much air. Really, the DPV just gives me an excuse to take up smoking.

Richie

01-29-2003, 01:21 PM,
Do you have any pictures of these great whites that are lurking around in Square???
(or are these non-tanned large swimming people!!!)
I am afraid I would drive one of these DPV's right into the bottom , dive platform(s) etc...
(I.E. Does it come with turn signals???)
Seriously though, it sounds like a blast to use !!!

Thanks...Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
02-03-2003, 04:33 PM,
HERE IS LINK TO A WEB SITE THAT SELLS DPV PLANS.

or