Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bee stings and diving
09-11-2008, 07:59 PM,
Bee stings and diving
Has anyone ever gone diving right after a bee sting? I wonder what happens to the area around the sting with the pressure increase while descending and the sudden decrease of pressure while ascending? A few weeks ago I was helping a friend clear some brush away from his driveway. I got stung seven times that morning and it just felt like seven different bee stings. The minor pain subsided as the morning went on. I went diving about 3 hours later and by this time the pain was gone all together. The dive went well and while I was doing my 3 minute safety stop at 15' the pain came back and got worse as I got to the surface. The seven different stings felt a little worse than when I was originally stung. This time it took about 2 days until I didn't notice the stings anymore. If anyone has had a similar experience or knows about this stuff I am interested in knowing more...
09-13-2008, 02:06 PM,
Re: Bee stings and diving
Are you a member of DAN. If so contact them with the same question. Keep us posted.
09-13-2008, 07:55 PM,
Yes I am a member of DAN. I was just curious if it was just my imagination. I will ask them one of these days and post their response.
09-13-2008, 09:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-13-2008, 09:23 PM by DiverQueen.)
The stings would trigger a histamine reaction from the body.  It would have been better to wait 24 hours for the body to process it through.  To dive that soon after is comperable to taking a medicine and diving when you don't know it's adverse reactions to dive physiology.

Tank goodness (pun intended) that you are not anaphylactic!  Seven stings is a bad hit to the body even without having an allergy.  The real question is...How will your body react next time??  Call DAN, Call your doctor!  Dive Safe!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
09-13-2008, 09:32 PM,

I figured that I was safe because I don't know what "anaphylactic" is. Now I have ta google it... Can you even use that word with out having it sensored out?
09-14-2008, 03:09 PM,
I think anaphylactic keeps you from STD's  :-\
09-14-2008, 06:11 PM,
STD?  SCUBA Tank Dents?
It’s good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.<br />~Mark Twain
09-14-2008, 09:14 PM,
OoooKay then.....  :Smile Anaphylactic means having to carry an Epi-Pen to use when stung due to Bee Sting Allergy.  (Prophilactics are what you use to prevent STD's)  >Big Grin  Any more questions?!?!  Anyone?  Any one?....Bueller?
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!