Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving workout
01-29-2003, 03:31 PM,
Diving workout
Does anybody has a special workout routine geared towards diving. If so, please post so we can get a thread started about 1) the benefits of a workout program, and 2) specific programs that will benefit every diver's in-water performance.

Myself, I work out 6 times a week, of which 5 days are devoted to at least 30 min of cardio, and also two weight workouts. Once we get this thing going we can get into more specifics.
01-29-2003, 05:34 PM,
Re:Diving workout
During spring-summer-fall I usually run 2.5 miles, 5 times a week down to the lakes and back. I also supplement this with weight training (2/wk). Although I have to admit my weight training isn't as regular as it should be. I found that the cardio workout delivered big benefits to my dives. Also, I was doing 6+ dives a week -- that's a good workout too.

Right now I am hibernating. I bought an exercise bike recently to start up the cardio workout. I have a hard time exercising indoors. I belonged to lifetime for a couple years but didn't use it enough to make it worthwhile. I wish they had a pool.
--Jason
01-29-2003, 05:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-30-2003, 07:09 AM by freedivernd.)
Hey DRE,
I can't resist posting here.. My work outs are more geared towards out of air situations, but don't think that hasn't been a big boost to my diving in both comfort level and air consumption.

In a 25yd pool 1 hour, 4-5 days a week. 3-4 days laps on my back with heart rate to 60-70% max about 1 mile with 1/2 dozen or so 25 - 50 yd underwater swims (20 - 40 sec) w/o breath ups or 1/4 breath ups. Rest when ever I want. On one day a week (midweek usually) approx 1/4 the distance in laps but then do more dynamic apneas.. 50 - 75 yds per without too much breath up except approx. 1/2 to 3/4 breath up for the 75 yarders. Then a 3/4 to full breath up and do the 100 yd dynamic. Tongue All of the above with fins, mask, top half of wetsuit.

During the week on dryland - lot's of lung expansion and empty lung statics, full lung statics (I hate going for max which next time I think will be 4 minutes or close to it), and lot's of equalizing using the frenzel technique, and some hands free frenzel, BTV I think they call it.

Diet - I eat lots of anything that is full of anti-oxidants because of all the free radicals that are produced during apneas. I'm real glad that red wine is one of the foods highest in anti-oxidants. Lots of H20 too. Hydration is a good thing.
Just purchased a pulse oximeter to read saO2 and am really looking forward to monitoring my O2 saturation, maybe can learn even more about my workouts and help me get to that goal of a 5 minute apnea.

One other thing - been trying to play basketball twice a week but the old knee just isn't letting that happen yet. Been almost 2 years since played regularly. Maybe tonight.. going to try it again.
-edit - sorry - maybe got a bit specific
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-29-2003, 07:10 PM,
I workout somewhere between 0 and 5 times a week, depending on the week. I try and fit in 30 minutes of cardio at 70-85% max HR, as well as 30-45 minutes of weights. I vary muscle groups depending on what I can get on (I tend to only bet able to make it to the gym during the busy hours). I do concentrate somewhat on chest, back, shoulders, and legs. There is no question this helps my diving. What I need to do is be more consistent. Maybe by pooling everyone's thoughts we can come up with a diver workout program at a beginning, intermediate, and advanced level.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
01-29-2003, 07:56 PM,
That's exactly what I was thinking Beeger. Both cardio and weights workouts help divers in different aspects. Also, it has been shown that there is a direct influence between improved cardio fitness and better decompression. There are, however, some common misconceptions about diving and fitness: the first is that diving itself is not at all a cardio workout, and a poor weights workout at best; second, improved cardio is much more important for a diver than improved weight training (contrary to an article published in Immersed a few years ago).
Then there also is the matter of body fat and decompression vs bodily heat loss - definitely an important topic given the frigid water temps in MN.
I'm still putting together some more info but I'm very happy with the input we've gotten so far. Let's keep it coming.
01-30-2003, 01:44 AM,
DRE, can you explain the body fat and decompression vs. heat loss more?
--Jason
01-30-2003, 10:52 AM,
"body fat and decompression vs. heat loss" - what we are dealing with here is the trade off between how body fat keeps the body warm (which is good for decompression) vs. the fact that body fat lacks the capillaries to make good perfusion possible (which means slow or nonexistent decompression). I think there is no question that, all other things being equal, the “lean” diver will decompress more effectively/efficiently, but it does put the burden on the lean diver of ensuring their personal warmth. This demands more attention to gear, specifically the exposure protection worn. Working-out causes the blood vessels to grow in size. This, in turn, provides for better perfusion which leads to better decompression (again, all other variables held equal).

Sorry, I know you asked DRE this question, but I couldn't help adding my 2 cents worth. Smile
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
01-30-2003, 11:56 AM,
That's about all I had to asy about that as well (thanks Beeger) - I'll post some more info later this week, since I'm preparing for my orals for the doctorate right now.
01-30-2003, 02:09 PM,
DRE,

Good luck on your orals!!!! Wink

I have been doing a diving specific work out for the past 8-9 weeks (got it online). It's a six day a week workout schedule with cardio 4-5 times a week and weights 2 times a week.

Cardio, is cardio, is cardio - whatever you do is good.

For weights I recommend Body Pump. It's taught at almost every gym nation wide (I take it at the Uptown YWCA and have taken it in San Francisco). It's a killer class that is an hour long. It's a full body free weight workout. It's better than any weight workout I've ever done. Just to give you an idea, it begins with a 4 minute warm up and then launches into about six minutes of barbell enhanced squats totalling about 130. Needless to say you might have a little trouble walking for a few days after your first class.

I started it last year in february, and am proud to say that by spring I could lift a steel 95 with about 20lbs of lead on it like a feather - ok, maybe not a feather but it was definitely easier. Now I can pretty comfortable lift a set of steel 104's -not bad for a groovekitty!

Also, the cario helps with the hike down to the Madiera! Plus if you've been in cave country you know you're gonna need some stamina and strength to get down to some of the springs - need I even mention Olson sink????

If you're not doing a workout program designed to enhance your diving, I would recomend starting one. It's all ties into the Holistic Hogarthian (H2) approach. Good physical fitness can only make diving safer, easier, and more fun, plus you look better in that neoprene - so just go for it!

Safe diving,
~groovekitty*
01-30-2003, 09:28 PM,
Groovekitty, can you post the link to the online dive workout? I'd like to check it out.
--Jason