Remember me
Lost Password Register

strobes vs video lights
10-17-2008, 09:27 AM,
strobes vs video lights
I would like to get some information on the positives and negatives of using video lights vs strobes for taking still photography.  I have a Sea and Sea 8000, have one strobe now, and have been taking many many pictures learning the ins and outs of it (drives my wife nuts  Smile ).  When I use the strobe it seems like I am always waiting for it to cycle and then adjusting the brightness after the first shot.  I used a videolight recently and it seemed to work fine except there was a hot spot which I think I could eliminate with a defuser over it.  I did aim the light further out and the spot was mostly gone but then the far side got a little dark so maybe 2 lights.  As I see it, the video lights will show me exactly what the picture will look like and except for having to turn them off and on, I can't seem to see a negative (no pun intended... well ok, maybe a small one  ;D)

Thanks

Hanz
12-13-2008, 11:12 AM,
Re: strobes vs video lights
Take this advice for what it is worth as I have not taken a single underwater photo yet that I would call world class...
The video light with a diffuser would be the clear solution for adjusting the light intensity prior to taking the shot. Two video lights would be better as you could turn the intensity down on both a little. BUT... this would be (in my opinion) only in tropical water where the batteries would last longer. When you are in 39 degree water, the batteries in your video light will drain very quickly and you will be depressed when they run out half way through the dive. They are producing light for a considerably longer time than just a flash. Sea Life does make a digital flash that has a 5 watt led light that turns on just prior to taking the shot (kinda like the red eye reduction function on a regular didital camera). This would allow you to aim your flash and adjust it quickly but the draw back is the "recycle time" between shots.

In my opinion, the ideal setup would be to have a tray that will accept two digital flashes with diffusers on each and this 5 watt led pre-flash light. Like anything, practice makes perfect and the more you use it the more you will be able to adjust the light intensity prior to taking the shot. The other bit of advice I could give would be to use a wide angle lens and minimize the amount of water (and micro particles in the water) between you and the object you are taking a picture of. Later when you download the photos to your computer and you get over the nausea of looking at the photos that you think are cruddy, use a good photo editor program and adjust the contrast and color. I am going back and editing photos that were pitch black or way over exposed and I am seriously impressed that they actually are salvageable.
12-13-2008, 09:37 PM,
Re: strobes vs video lights
I've seen many underwater photos that I would consider world class.  Visit wetpixel or digitaldiver.  But maybe my threshold for excellence is a little lower. Wink

I think your best bet is to gain more experience with the strobe.  If your rig supports TTL that might provide more automated and consistent results. 
--Jason